Friday, October 12, 2007

I loved this blog entry from Cathy Zielske about her own weight loss:
http://cathyzielske.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/10/like-a-slow-lea.html

She's such a good writer--I love some of her tool bag references!

So I went back and re-read some of the early blog entries and the thing that struck me as being different now than it was then (for me) was the lack of social eating back then. I had just started my job, so I didn't know anyone and was pretty much off on my own plugging away at work without much interaction--I was part of a two person department and the other person is way down the hall. Now I'm part of a 10 person department and there are constant birthday lunches and group activities and it's a lot harder to say no to food when you're friends with the person offering it!

My biggest challenge is to get my eating in check again. One or two "perfect" days each week isn't going to cut it for me. At the start, I was losing one to two pounds a week, which is normal and healthy weight loss, but to do that I had to eat no more than 1300 calories a day and I had to exercise five or six days a week. I'm back to exercising regularly (more like three days of heavy exercise and two days of light exercise, but it all works out the same) and while I'm not terrible with what I eat, I no longer obsessively count calories and unfortunately that seems to be what works for me.

The good news, though, is that I had the same reaction to 140 pounds as Amy had to 220--for me the 140 weight seems to be my mental "oh my God" weight now--that's my pre-pregnancy weight, so when I go over it, I'm in bad territory. Plus if I go much over that weight, I'll have to go up a size! But when I hit that weight I at least started fighting back. I'm not down to the 130 to 135 range (yet), but at least I'm holding the line at 140 and not continuing to gain. I was back down to 139.8 today. My goal for the next weigh-in day is to still be below 140!

No comments: