Monday, May 14, 2007

Weekend

Well - I wasn't great this weekend. I was pretty good with working out. I went to Tony's on Saturday and we did my upper body. It wasn't a particularly hard workout - but my arms are still a little sore today. Then yesterday Katie and I put in a vegetable garden in the backyard. It started out to be about 3'x7' but we then extended it by another foot or so while we were planting it. So - the 15' of picket fence we got to go around it covered the two short sides and the one long side. We planned it that way. Since it is such a small plot we knew we wouldn't be able to get IN the garden to weed and stuff - so we wanted easier access from one side - so we got two sections of the shorter white fencing for the front. Those two pieces left about a three foot gap still (which we really didn't want since part of the point of the fence is to keep the dogs out. During the process of planting our garden we realized that we wanted to plant more than we had space for. So in the plot itself we put in four tomato plants, four pepper plants (two green and two red - all sweet) beets and green beans. We had several containers from when I used to do my container gardening, so in a long low windowbox on the ground we planted the lettuce (we don't really care if we get a harvest of that - but it is worth trying...). Then in four large pots we put in basil, chives, and dill. I still have two zucchini plants and two yellow squash plants left. I haven't decided what to do with them yet. We will probably have to put in another plot somewhere - but I am not sure where would be best.

So after all of this Katie and I decided that gardening is NOT a hobby for the elderly - unless you have a gardener to do the heavy work and all you have to do is the grooming. We worked hard yesterday. We were joking at one point that it looked like we were digging a grave - it was about the right size and shape. And then later Mike came out on his deck and made the same joke. He said that he hadn't seen Laura in a while and perhaps that is where we buried her. Hee hee.

I also took out one or two old rose bush stumps that didn't survive. My roses aren't doing quite as well in this garden as they have in the past - but I think that is partially due to the fact that I haven't tended them as well as I did before. I am going to order a couple of new ones today from Jackson Perkins. My Peace rose didn't make it through the first winter in this new house (and I DID tend that one!) and I have space for another one - so I will probably put in two new ones. Ironically, the rose bushes out front in the extreme shade of that Bradford Pear tree seem to do the best of all my bushes...

I don't think my peonies came up this year. At least not yet. I can't tell - we have so many weeds in the front garden that I just don't know what are plants and what aren't. That is going to be my project for Wednesday. You know what really isn't right? I hate it that gardens just don't STAY weeded. Katie and I BOTH put in big chunks of time early this spring on the front garden - but you would never know to look at it now. Well - except the azaleas look gorgeous!

Anyway - to sum up quickly - my food was awful! I had bangers and mash on Saturday at the Still. Then mac and cheese on Sunday from Noodles. Also birthday cake. Friday AND Sunday! My weight was 223 yesterday (but I had been up and eaten something at that point) and 223.2 today.

I think I am going to start Southbeach soon.

No comments: