Tuesday, May 29, 2007

357 pounds?

I have no idea. I don't have a scale here and even if I did it would tell me kilos or stones or something else furn. I feel enormous because it's furn food involving lots of meat and butter and not the lovely fresh fruit from markets I've been envisioning -- all the markets in Frankfurt were closed yesterday because it was Pentecost Monday, not to mention pouring down rain, and today we were in transit all day and I was lucky to get any food at all. We scraped together some breakfast from the market at the airport (a pastry and some apple juice for me) and for lunch I had a couple of squares of chocolate (very dark, so at least it's lower calorie and higher antioxidant) and a handful of baby goldfish crackers, because there was a water leak on the plane and the flight attendants spent the whole time cleaning that up rather than feeding us sandwiches and drinks!

For dinner tonight I went to the hotel restaurant, which was pretty much my only option -- we got here too late to take transit into the city and the island our resort is on doesn't have any restaurants other than the ones in the hotels. The food was really good (and now I've had authentic Hungarian paprikash, and it's really good but not as good as Mom's!) but there was a shortage of vegetables. So I made myself eat a salad, and then it was all meat and fiber-less starches, except for some soggy carrots and the mushrooms that were hiding in the paprikash. Oh, and there was half a strawberry buried in the whipped cream with my cream cake dessert.

I also drank a very large, dark beer at the restaurant (not what I ordered, but the Hungarian pronunciation is so strange that even if I just say the letters in front of me and point to the word on the page I still can't get my point across -- they say the language's only cousin is Finnish! -- anyway, it was still a dark beer, but larger than I'd planned on), and I'm working on a beer now. Alcohol in Europe is cheaper than soda and about the same price as water. This I do not understand.

I fully expect to gain many pounds on this trip. The only redemption for me is that I will be walking all over the place with a toddler in a pack on my back. So maybe I won't be huge when I return. My official diet starts the Monday after we get back -- that's a full-fledged, calorie-cutting, exercising loads diet.

Obviously I have Internet access here and I'm going to have a fair amount of time with just me and Cecilia in a hotel room, so I'll be posting with some regularity!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Katie said the same thing about Mom's paprikash! The real thing is no better than what we grew up eating.

How does Cecilia like being a world traveller?