Friday, May 25, 2007

Down a little bit every day

I've been losing about .2 pounds per day this week. I was either 135.6 or 135.4 this morning, and now I can't remember which weight it was! My exercise has been good--still running or doing pilates or both each day--my food not quite as good, but no really horrible days. Yesterday was Spring Convocation, where they make you sit through interminable awards and speakers for hours with the promise of a free lunch and afternoon celebration (our president is leaving at the end of the year, so it was a big deal this year; last year was the college's 35th anniversary so it was a big deal last year too. I'm thinking that next year they'll come up with yet another excuse to make it a big deal!). So by the time we got to lunch an hour after it was supposed to happen, I was starving. Unfortunately, the lunch wasn't fantastic--grilled chicken which had gotten dry sitting out waiting for us, yucky macaroni and cheese (apparently I only like the fake boxed stuff), baked beans (which I didn't even take because I don't like them), dinner rolls, salad and fruit. So I ate my whole salad and cup of fruit and dinner roll and half of the chicken, so I guess that wasn't too bad, but then I followed up with ice cream, which was the best tasting thing all day! And at our "Innovation Fair" I scarfed a bunch of Hershey's kisses (btw, our display won! Hee-hee. I knew my scrapbooking skills could be used for a practical purpose at some point!).

The other exercise I've been getting all week has been teaching Claire to ride her bike. When she was younger she just couldn't get the whole pedaling motion down--never even learned to ride a tricycle. So we haven't even gotten on a bike with her for a couple of years, and she had long since outgrown her first bike. When she showed some interest earlier this year, we got her a bike and all this week I've been taking her out after work for riding lessons, and by George, she's got it! Still very wobbly and no real control (i.e. speed, steering, braking) but that will come in time, and she's so proud of herself for going from zero to riding 40 and 50 feet at a time in just four days. Now if only I could somehow teach her to NOT get distracted by every little thing on the road--she keeps looking around when she sees or hears anything, which invariably makes her crash. Really have to work on the braking and steering!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am so proud of Claire! Although, I had sort of hoped that she wouldn't learn so I wouldn't be the ONLY person in the whole world who can't ride a bike. I am glad she is spared that humiliation... I didn't get past the trauma of admiting that truth until I was WELL into adulthood - and even now I have a hard time admitting it. Although, it is a handy thing to have at those touchy feely seminars where you have to admit something embarassing... Hee hee.