Monday, May 21, 2007

Long, exhausting weekend

Daniel ran a conference at Virgina Tech this weekend, one that has been in the planning for two years. So there were several dozen extra theoretical (or "theatrical," as Mary called it) chemists around town this week. All of these guys are close personal friends of Daniel's, of course! So on Thursday we had several over for homemade pizza (and beer) and on Friday there was a banquet (with wine and cheesecake dessert) and on Saturday we had several more over for a cookout (and wine and beer, way too much of the wine for me) and the same people came back on Sunday when they learned Chez Crawford is the best brunch place in town (so waffles and mimosas, but I stuck to just juice because I was still regretting the wine, but we also had piles of bacon and fruit with real whipped cream).

Remarkably, despite the excessive eating and drinking, I exercised every day but Saturday. On Thursday I did a power walk at home, on Friday I did the usual trip to the gym (with a full two-mile run, but I forget the time), and on Sunday our whole brunch crew went for a walk down the Huckleberry trail for a total of just over three miles (and Mary walked pretty much the whole way except for a short part at the end on Daniel's shoulders). When we got back from the walk I was ready to go to sleep, but the kids had the energy to ride their bikes on the driveway for a long time afterwards! Whew.

Today I have my usual gym trip. Eating this week is going to be clean-out-the-fridge eating so that there's nothing in there when we leave town for two weeks. I imagine I will lose NO weight this week and Hungary isn't looking good, either! And my weight has been scary on recent mornings -- close to my high of 148 for the year. Eeek! I keep wondering how awful it would be if I weren't exercising six days a week.

No comments: