Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Childcare reservations are a good thing

If I didn't get charged for not showing up there's a good chance I wouldn't have gone to the gym either Monday or today. I'm willing to commit to it a week in advance, but a half hour before I so very much want to be lazy. Anyway, I went today and did 15 laps on the track (1 2/3 mile) -- I was aiming for a full 5k but I tried to keep a 59 second pace per lap and I wore out too quickly. The track was also rather full because it was raining outside, so I was constantly having to swing around people, which gets old fast. Anyway, if I can do a low-50s pace pretty readily for a full mile, it's pathetic that I can't extend that any further, so it's clear that I need to be working to push my distance more and not worry about speed so much for now. (But speed is more fun.)

I also did 20 minutes on the bike, plus the usual VKRs, chest presses, and shoulder presses, as well as a few tricep presses. Even the muscle workout is getting dull. I still haven't used my free training sessions so I should sign up for those and learn to use some more equipment to work my upper body. There's no point in doing this right now, though; we'll be gone for two full weeks starting in a week. So I'll save it for June.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Don't limit your weight training to just your upper body either. You may THINK running is a complete workout for your legs - and you are mostly right - but resistance training is very different than aerobic.

Emily said...

I know, and I enjoy the lower body muscle training -- but I don't do the resistance training on my legs as often as I do on my upper body, so I'm not sick of it yet. Of course they'll train me on all the machines when I do the session!

Amy said...

They don't usually do that... Uusually they show you a selection of machines - but not all of them - all of them makes it too confusing and overwhelming - and then you wouldn't sign up for another session. What you need to do is have them show you machines that you DON'T already do. Have Daniel have them show HIM other ones... and then you should have most of your bases covered.