Thursday, May 31, 2007

Lots of exercise

Today I hiked up to the dome of a basilica, wearing a backpack with a baby in it. Talk about exercise! It was a looonnnng time before my heart rate was completely back to normal. At the landing halfway up we discovered there was a public elevator that everyone else was using -- the landing was the switchover point from one elevator to another. So we did take the second elevator, but I still think I earned a lot of cardio points for the first half! I did a lot of walking around the city yesterday and today, all with the baby carrier, so I'm getting plenty of exercise. The people here are much thinner than at home!

Food has been spotty. Yesterday I completely missed lunch -- I hate eating in restaurants by myself or even just with Cecilia (actually, it's more complicated with Cecilia so I find myself less inclined to eat at the cafes than I would have been just by myself) and I haven't had a lot of luck finding sandwich shops (except Subway!) or grocery stores. I did get Cecilia an ice cream cone and helped her with that a bit. And I had a huge breakfast yesterday -- whole grain toast with a bit of butter and jam, a small croissant and another pastry (with chocolate inside, yum), some yogurt, juice, milk (definitely not skim) and I'm not sure what else. So I was fine going without lunch. For dinner I had a grilled chicken breast (with rosemary, very good) and chunky fries (good but not healthy). And they offered a salad with it, but it was inedible -- it was some brownish iceburg lettuce with bits of cabbage and carrot, one half slice of cucumber, several pieces of yellow corn (Cecilia ate all of those) and some tomatoes which would have been nice if I liked tomatoes, which I don't -- and all drowned in a dill cream sauce which negated any pathetic health benefits there may have been. So I really didn't eat any of the salad. I drank water with dinner, but Daniel and I had beer afterwards, and some wine -- all in all more alcohol than I needed! So I haven't added the day up but I'm pretty sure I overdid it on calories.

Today my breakfast was by necessity smaller -- I only had about 3 minutes to eat. So I had some yogurt again, and one inhaled pastry -- I would rather have had toast but that would have taken too long to make -- and a glass of OJ. But I ate much more of a lunch, since today I swiped some things from the breakfast buffet and then I found a grocery store: I have had a roll, a hunk of a loaf of white bread, a couple of thin sandwich slices of gouda, the peel of an apple (Cecilia ate the insides, but the peel had a lot stuck to it), and far too many chocolate "biscuits", i.e., cookies, very much like Chocolate Teddy Grahams in flavor. Tonight we will probably go into town to eat, so again I will exceed my calorie needs, I fear!

1 comment:

Amy said...

How are you managing with the language. It is funny - I would be less afrain to be faced with the inability to speak Hungarian than Italian. I feel like I SHOUDL have a grasp on Italian - but no one would expect me to know Hungarian

Does everyone LOVE Cecilia - or is she being a typical American tourist?