Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Still yikes!

139.2 today. That's not much of an improvement from yesterday, although today I can at least report that some of this weight gain is plain old water retention--I couldn't get my rings off last night. Ugh.

Did I remember to mention that last week instead of just running three days at the gym, I did one day on the treadmill, one on the elliptical machine, and one on the exercycle? I figured it might make life more interesting and might work slightly different muscles. I'm actually getting used to the elliptical--I figured out tricks to keep my feet from falling asleep, and my heart rate seems more steady on that than it is on the treadmill. I ended up back on the elliptical yesterday because all of the treadmills were taken. I really just don't like the exercycles, though. I always feel like I'm working really hard, but I barely sweat (except around my waist) and the calorie burn is pretty low, although my heart rate is really high on the hills. Doesn't seem fair. If my heart rate is going to get so high, I should at least get the benefit of burning more calories, right?

3 comments:

Amy said...

What are your elliptical tricks to keep your feet from falling asleep. The only thing I could ever figure out is to keep sliding them back from the toe edge (which keep you from falling off the machine altogether...) but I don't remember if that worked.

Emily said...

I sweat like mad on the exercycle but I barely sweat on the elliptical. And the calorie burn is about the same on both. I wonder what the difference is in how we're using them? Or is it different personalities of the bikes?

Sarah said...

On the elliptical, I alternate between rocking back and forth on my feet (heel-toe-heel-toe) and just getting up on my toes and staying there for a bit. That keeps the circulation going to them.

I think the calorie burn difference between the elliptical and exercycle is actually the setting--I set the elliptical to level 9 manual, and the exercycle to a hill training program, also on level 9, which means that on the "downhill" bits I don't get the same calorie burn, so my overall calories burned are lower. I haven't actually tried to keep the exercycle going at a steady resistance, but I think it would likely kill my knees and thighs--I don't get much of a cardio workout on the exercycle but it's definitely a better muscular workout. Also, the exercycle doesn't ask for my weight and the other machines do, so I think the calorie counter isn't as accurate.