Thursday, April 19, 2007

Checking in

Yesterday afternoon Alexander was still sick so I couldn't take him to the gym -- after piano we started to head there, when I realized, "What am I thinking??" so we went home. But Daniel and I both wanted exercise, so we took turns going out and running 5k. It took just over 30 minutes but my flaky watch reset and read 0:30 when I stopped. So I don't have an exact figure. I'm a little sore today -- that's the first time I've run more than a mile in a long time -- but I'm glad I went. It was a gorgeous day and there were a lot of people on the trail. It's strange, though -- usually everyone is so friendly and makes eye contact and waves and smiles, and there was still a level of that, but it's as though no one wanted to appear to be happy, so we all gave these weird half-smiles instead.

Today I need to get in some kind of exercise at home, since I'll miss the next three days while we're on the road! My weight has come down from the 145 but only by a pound so far. The candy eating has slowed dramatically because no one wants the kind of jellybeans that are left and I refuse to open a new bag until the Starburst Sours (which they requested!) and the Jolly Ranchers (mostly good, but there are a couple of weird-ish flavors) are gone.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I guess it is like when you are around someone who had a death in their family and you are not sure how soon you can start acting normal again... Except in your case EVERYONE had a death in the family.

I have found it interesting to hear the comments of Columbine survivors on this. It gives perspective - to realize that everyone will move on and life will continue, but the event will never be forgotten.