Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I am scared!

I am afraid of my gym. It has been less than a week since I joined - but I still haven't actually gone yet. I think this is because I am afraid it will be crowded, or that I won't know how to use the equipment, or something. It is irrational - but fear of the unknown has always been my problem. I KNOW I just need to do it and then form a routine - but I haven't done that yet. I need to set up an appointment with a trainer - which I haven't wanted to do before I finish up with Tony... But maybe I should. I am such a chicken!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Go to the gym in the mid-morning tomorrow (after the morning rush is over) and get on a treadmill, which even a monkey could figure out, and spend your time checking out the other equipment while you walk so then you'll at least have some clue what unfamiliar equipment is for. Then when you get on the unfamiliar equipment you do the "White Girl in the City" trick that we're all so good at--keep the attitude and look on your face that you know exactly what you're doing and any constant adjustment of equipment is merely because your exercise needs are far more fine-tuned and finicky than that of the average person.

Of course, I just looked up the equipment your gym uses and now I can see why you're scared: http://www.freemotionfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&top_category=10009&categoryId=10010 This stuff looks like torture equipment!

Sarah said...

Stupid links don't work in comments. I forgot.