Saturday, April 14, 2007

Still running, still gaining

I went to the gym completely unenthused yesterday but I wore my running shoes just in case. When I got there I discovered I did feel like running after all, so I ran a mile and finished in 7:40, again my fastest time. The first lap was really easy (and the fastest of all except maybe the last) so I just kept going at a high pace instead of pushing it just at the end of each lap. I don't think I could get much more in terms of dramatic improvement after this, but I might be able to decrease my time steadily by a bit each time. I do think I should go back to running more of a distance, but it's really fun to go faster every time, and it's dull to run long distances. Maybe next week.

I forgot to exercise on Tuesday and wimped out on Thursday. On Wednesday I did the 30 minute walk/jog video, which isn't too bad for video-based exercise. Today I haven't planned anything yet. My weight is increasing slowly but surely -- I was up to 143.5 today -- thanks to the Easter candy, which, like Sarah's, is not getting any less. (Surely it must be finite!) But I keep thinking there's no real point in dieting until it's gone.

I'm feeling very fat -- my stomach looks enormous to me and feels bloated all the time. I know I don't look bad and if I think I do I just have to look at pictures from a year and a half ago. And I know I'm in better shape than I have been for most of the last year. But there's no question that I'm having stomach issues and that I'm eating badly, which makes them worse. Ugh.

Amy -- I'm glad your weight turned around the last two days, and maybe now it's the beginning of a downward trend. This is all extremely strange. I wish your doctor would try the Metformin route! Surely she could see that this would make a whole lot more sense than a gastric bypass, so it's at least worth TRYING! Grumble. Metformin was the turnaround point for me eight years ago -- not just in terms of fertility, but that's when my spontaneous, slow weight gain finally stopped. And after I had kids things were much more stable, like my body figured out how things were supposed to work, so that replaced the metformin -- but if I hadn't had it I'd be huge today. I was gaining 5-10 pounds a year at that point.

I'm up for a scrapbooking weekend -- I've started trying to do at least ONE page from my monthly kits just to justify their arrival (so they're amounting to $40 pages) but I'm still behind even on that much of a goal. Unfortunately I have no free weekends until the last two weekends in June. July and August still look pretty open, though.

No comments: