Monday, April 09, 2007

My Weekend

I was SO SORE all weekend that I could barely move - but I forced myself to anyway - all I did to compensate was say Ow, ow, ow - so Katie would know that I was exerting myself (when I say exerting myself I mean I lifted my arms about elbow height or bent over slightly to pick up something off of a chair or something). Ow, ow, ow. I am still sore - but now as bad as yesterday. Last night when I went to bed my arms hurt when I was in my most naturally relaxed position. I discovered that if I lifted my arm up in the air at about shoulder height I couldn't feel the pain as much - but since that wasn't condusive to sleeping I settled for taking Advil. Sigh.

Tony is out of town until next Monday - whew! I am embarassed to say I am REMARKABLY relieved that he is gone. I coudln't take anymore. I had the day off on Friday so I started with a visit to him at 9:30am. He set up this piece of equipment called a Total Gym, which basically uses your body weight as your resistance tool. Unfortunately, my body weight is proportionately considerably higher then the weight I can lift with my upper body. I managed to do 30 of the things where I lay on my stomach at an angle and raised myself up with my shoulders (like a reclining pull up) then I lay on my back and had to use my tricepts to raise myself up. I struggled through them, but managed to finish 30 of those. THEN he had me stick my arms out to my side (like wings) and pull down that way. I couldn't do them at all... AND the first two things I did HURT in not a good way. So, I said NO! I am not going to do them... Surely there is something else that will work the same muscle groups without HURTING myself! So he made me box again. That was fine - but again, I was tired and sore... so it wasn't quite as much fun. I also had to do 100 crunches on the ball PLUS 60 VKRs. He wanted me to do 50 obs on the ball too - but by then my back was KILLING me (exercises on the big ball make my back hurt for some reason...) so I asked for something else - He had me do side bends holding weights - which I preferred. At that point he told me that I looked like I was in pain so we stopped then. Whew! I think he was mad at me because I didn't like the Total Gym.

I didn't do any exercise on Saturday (again - the whole pain thing, but also Katie and I were busy getting ready for the Easter brunch on Sunday). Last night, however, I walked for about two miles after everyone left. I am getting to the point where I am really enjoying the walking thing... enough so that I am mentally building myself up to running. Maybe someday - Oh, I forgot that was my New Years Resolution... OK - maybe someday before the end of the year...

I got my new, fancy pedometer on Friday. I wore it all day Saturday, Sunday and also today. I have discovered that it only registers steps if I am actually walking in a straight line. Side steps , like the four or five from my desk to my files (200 times a day) or jogging around the kitchen from the stove to the sink to the refrigerator, or in my bedroom from my closet to the dressers to the bathroom, don't register, or don't register completely. I feel cheated!!! Most of my movement is done in those weird little patches. Sigh. Yesterday - after being on my feet from 8:30am through my walk at 7:30pm - where I walked two miles, only registered as 7500 steps. Walking in place (which is what Katie suggests to do to get your step count up) doesn't register either...

Anyway - Katie and I are no longer vegetarian, but neither one of us ate much bacon yesterday. I am not sure what we are having for dinner tonight, but I doubt it will be super meaty... Maybe chicken quesadillas. We have them in the freezer from Let's Dish and they don't need thawing.

No comments: