Thursday, April 26, 2007

No good reason to post

Except that I haven't posted since Tuesday so I thought I was due. Alexander was still sick as of yesterday afternoon, so I cancelled my gym appointment, but then we ended up going for a walk (about 2 1/2 miles) to and from the library -- he rode his bike on the way there, and in fact rode it off the side of the trail and down a steep bank so that it ended up on top of him! -- and then rode in the stroller for most of the way back (except up the long hill at the end -- I made him walk that. And Mary rode his bike for him and her scooter folded conveniently into the bin on the stroller). He can normally ride most of the way to and from and he is certainly good for a lot of walking, so he was definitely still a bit affected by the virus. This morning he woke up queasy and didn't want breakfast until 11 or so, but then he ate enthusiastically.

My point was that I did exercise yesterday, but not very high-energy. I suppose pushing the stroller adds to the exercise.

Daniel had the not-quite-sick version of the virus, and Mary and I mostly missed it. Mary complained of her stomach hurting a couple of times but her appetite returned anyway. So I'm not sure if it was the same thing.

Sarah, Daniel pointed out that you might burn more calories running than walking, depending on how efficient you are when you run -- if you lift your knees really high and pump your arms when you run, then, yeah, you'd burn more calories that way, because you're covering more vertical distance even if the horizontal distance is the same. But officially you don't burn any more when you run.

My weight has been hovering around 145. But my rings and shoes still feel tight so a little bit might be bloat. But I'm not going to lose any weight until the candy is gone.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How about when you cling to the front of the treadmill to keep yourself from falling off the end when you're getting really tired at the end? And does that balance out the inefficiency inherent in walking a dog ("come ON, Davey. No! Don't get into that! We already went down that street. Leave that other dog alone.")? I still say I burned the same calories. And Daniel is a geek, albeit a highly educated and intelligent one.

Speaking of geeks, did I tell you that Claire had a current events project to do this week (read/watch/listen to a current events story, write a summary) and she chose the story about the Guinness World Record for coconut orchestras being broken on Monday?

Emily said...

Hee hee! Where did Claire find that story?