Saturday, January 27, 2007

Where have I been?

I've had my mind on dieting and exercise all week but for some reason I haven't been on the blog. I didn't even REALIZE I hadn't been on until today and there were a thousand new posts. Very odd.

Anyway, I have been sticking to the trips to the gym -- I went on Wednesday and Friday and both times did 30 minutes on the bike (boring, boring, boring -- I'm going to have to shake things up more) and ran a mile on the indoor track (fun for a mile, but it would get old fast after that). The first day my mile took 9:11 and yesterday it took 9:02. It's a 1/9th mile track so it's easy to think of doing a lap a minute, which is how I'm ending up with almost nine-minute miles. I couldn't keep up that pace any longer -- both times I've had a good first lap, one or two good laps in the middle, several so-so laps, and one or two bad laps before a final all-out run on the last lap to make it even out.

I've also been doing some weight machine work. Yesterday I did leg lifts and leg curls again and it seems I got the weight right, because today I can feel a bit of tiredness in the muscles but no pain. I did the chest press on Wednesday (but that was all for muscle work, because our childcare time was short) and didn't have any soreness from that afterwards, and my arm has given me no trouble of late.

My eating has been pretty good during the days. Daniel has been much better behaved than I have in the evenings -- now it's me bringing out the pizza-flavored goldfish! But we've scaled back the snacking quite a bit. Last night was an exception; we went to some friends' house for dinner, and it was a rich pasta sauce (but I kept the pasta portion reasonable) with a VERY rich dessert (fudgy black-bottom cupcakes only with more cream cheese than my recipe!) and, as I mentioned, I went through three glasses of wine over the course of the evening. And Daniel and I ate a ton of goldfish after we got home as well.

Tonight we're going to a Rabbie Burns dinner so there will be lots of rich food again, but it tends to involve a lot of cabbage and other foods I'm not excited about so I may not be a pig after all!

Today I had toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast (so more breakfast than ususal) plus milk and OJ, and I've had one Hershey kiss and ten Skittles. Maybe I need to get back to being brutally honest about what I'm eating!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's some amazing exercise you're doing! On my trips to the gym these days I look longingly at the weight equipment but I just don't have time to use it--it's easier to get aerobic stuff done at the gym and weight stuff at home except that I DON'T do the weight stuff at home like I should!

Amy said...

I LIKE weight stuff so much better than aerobic. I don't get anywhere near as bored doing it - and it doesn't seem to take as long - although, in reality it takes almost as long. I also feel like I show more progress with resistance work. I feel like I am getting stronger, I don't stoop as much and (with the exception of my knees) I have fewer chronic aches and pains.