Thursday, January 25, 2007

New Diet Book

I have been reading YOU: On a Diet. Katie heard an interview with the doctor's who wrote it on NPR, and I had run into it a couple of times recently - so I decided to give it a try. I am really enjoying it. It is a LOT about the science of how our digestive systems work - both phyically and hormonally. It gets into what causes us to feel hungry and what tells us that we feel full - and also that our bodies have developed ways of over-riding the signal that we feel full... thus causing problems.

I don't know if this diet will be any more successful than other diets - but I have decided to put that one on the slate next.

I was 213.4 yesterday and 214 today. This new diet says you have to measure your waist - not your weight - and we are shooting to be 32.5 inches or less (depending on your build - and your build should be based on your body at 18!!! size wise) so 32 inches would be about right for me... I was 38" last night!

The encouraging thing about this book is it says that your body WANTS to be its natural size - and it gave the name of a weight doctor (the catagory - Bariatrics I think....) which is also good - because I didn't know for sure if there WAS a weight doctor. I am going to check my insurance and see if I can get a name of one near me...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's so funny that you brought this up--I had been reading a thread on one of my messageboards about this book and considered getting it for you. I haven't seen it myself, but I'd love to read it.

My body at 18? I think I was WAY too thin back then. I think I weighed between 115 and 118 most of that year. I was skinny but had no muscles. While it would be kind of cool to be that skinny again, I don't know that it's any more healthy than aiming for the 130 range. The BMI for someone my height but 115 - 118 pounds is just a hair above underweight (18.6 - 19 is the BMI for that range; 18.5 is considered underweight).

Amy said...

I think they are talking more about BUILD - like would you call yourself Big Boned, are your hips dramatically larger than your shoulders, etc. After you add 20 years of life onto your body you can't always TELL what your build is supposed to be. It is WAIST not WEIGHT! Like in my case - I had a narrow waist wider hips and VERY LONG LEGS. If I can get my waist down to 32 (I was probably 28 in college!!) I would be closer to my original build. Of course, I haven't had any kids or anything - so my build is about the same - just WAY BIGGER

Emily said...

I was 117 pounds when I got my driver's license! When I was in college I saw a photo of myself at 16 and was appalled at how scrawny my arms were, and that didn't change any before 18. I was also skinny but muscle-free -- I'd rather be myself at about 20, when I'd gained a little weight but I was exercising frequently. My senior year of college I used to do crunches -- I did about five different kinds and around a hundred reps of each! I did ones based on the very old Jane Fonda workout because that seemed like such a killer workout. When I came home for break or the summer or something I tried her tape and couldn't believe how easy the abs section had become. I wish I could be so motivated now!

At any rate, my underlying build has never changed -- I had thin bones, a short waist, and sloping shoulders then, and I have thin bones, a short waist, and sloping shoulders now. Sigh.