Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer Challanges!!!!!!!!

OK - Here are my suggestions for challenges. We can do all or part or one or none.

1. Steps - Julie suggested an extra 1500 steps per day. Since my steps vary from 3500-9000 per day it is hard to say if I increased by 1500 - Last summer Katie and I were walking around the block (usually to get HER step count to the next level - the pedometer never worked on me) So, why do we do something like start or end the day with 1000 steps. How many days can you add that extra 1000 on? Those of you with dogs have it easy!

2. Water - I need this again. I have gotten out of my water habit. I am fine if I THINK about it - but most days I am forgetting to think about it. 8oz equals a point - How many points can you collect?

3. Crunches or situps - Tony Reid had this challenge for his people - 10000 crunches in 100 days. Which is 1000 crunches a day. This seems like too many to me (beyond their effectiveness). Since our challenges are usually add-ons to already (hopefully) pretty good behavior maybe we should make ours 100 extra crunches a day for however many days you can stand it. 100 crunches takes about 5 minutes.

4. "I would walk 500 miles." It could be a race. Who will finish 500 miles first? Probably those of you who run instead of walk... But it is still a good idea. I don't mean 500 miles as tracked by your daily pedometer steps - I mean 500 miles on a treadmill, bike (maybe that should be 1000 miles) or elliptical.

5 Try something new - How many new exercises can you do? I want to take a yoga class - Or there are rowing machines at the gym. Anyone want to try boxing with Katie and me? Julie is already doing this - but how many different exercises can you add on?

That is all I have so far. We could do this from now (or Monday) until Labor day weekend and see who wins. Just as a suggested time frame.

2 comments:

Emily said...

OK, I have to question your arithmetic -- 10,000 crunches in 100 days is 100x100, not 100x1000 -- so that's only a hundred a day, which is what *you're* proposing as well.

Unless you meant to type 100,000, that is!

Amy said...

Yes - that was supposed to be 100,000 - not 10,000. He DID want to do 10,000 miles in 100 days. I told him his challenges were no good. If a challenge is too difficult while at the same time COMPLETELY uninteresting I won't even TRY to do it!!! Who has the time - or inclination - to do 1000 situps a day? And - if someone is struggling to do 10,000 steps per day (3-5 miles) HOW does he think they will manage to fit in twice that???