Thursday, July 19, 2007

Daily report

Yesterday I went to the gym and planned to do the elliptical machine, for some variety from the bike, but Daniel showed up unexpectedly so we did the bikes together. I had the bike set at the same level as Monday but I pushed the RPMs so I actually got to 11 miles instead of 10.5, but I'm still counting it as 3.5 miles of walking. I got through a lot more water yesterday -- nine units in all, so I'm getting a little better about it (except today I haven't had any water, and I have had a frappuchino, so that's not good!). Part of the water intake was that I took a bottle to the gym instead of just using the fountains -- I suspect I didn't really drink that much more, but I discovered I was drinking more from the fountains than I realized, because I went through three units while I was there.

I did 100 VKRs, then went on to the machines. I did chest press, and I was switching out with a girl I see there regularly and she kept setting my weight back to my starting weight and I didn't want to admit that I usually crank it down, so I did three sets of 15 at 70 pounds each! That meant I could barely manage 6 sets of 6 at 25 pounds on the shoulder press, but I recovered for the tricep press and did three sets of 15 at 40 pounds on that -- only I think my form has problems on that machine so next time I'm going to do a lower weight so I can really focus on using my triceps instead of my deltoids and pects. Anyway, when that was all done I decided to try the leg press machine -- you sit in a recumbent position with your feet on a vertical platform and push yourself away from the vertical platform. I started with two sets of 18 at 85 pounds, then I pushed it up to 100 for the last set. This gave a really good workout to the full length of the legs. In between sets I moved my feet to the lower platform and did a calf press at the same weights -- these were tiring and made my feet ache (in the same way they do when I do my foot therapy, so this was good for me) and today my calves are quite sore. When I finished everything I tested myself and discovered I could still move the system at 130 pounds, and at 145 I could just squeeze out one -- so I should probably move to a higher weight next time. But it was fun to recognize that I could press my own body weight (OK, with leverage, and isn't pressing my own body weight what my legs do all day, every day?) and I enjoyed doing a new machine.

I think I'm better off not discussing my eating right now -- it's just not all that good!

1 comment:

Amy said...

The leg press is one of my favorite machines because I DO feel strong when I do it. However, THAT is the one that the trainer set me on 30 (or whatever the lowest setting is!) because of my knees. When I did the 40 pounds the last time I was in so much pain the next day. It is annoying because clearly 30 isn't doing me any good (since I used to do 95 regularly) but the repetative motion does in my knees.