Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day two of South Beach

It's like a Chinese food diet for me--I eat a meal and an hour later I'm starving again! But except for the hard candy I stuck with the plan yesterday. We had tacos for dinner and I just turned mine into a taco salad, which was pretty good. I even tried one of the ricotta-based desserts the SB book recommends (ricotta cheese, cocoa powder, Splenda, vanilla). It wasn't entirely yucky, but I wouldn't order it in a restaurant!

Today I was down to 138.2. Still don't know if this is real weight loss or not. I guess I'll find out in a week or so. I was reading a messageboard about South Beach and it said that the less weight you have to lose overall, the less you'll lose in the first phase. The average is 8 - 13 pounds, but if you have only ten pound total to lose, you might only lose three or four pounds at most in the first phase. But even four pounds would get me back to withing spitting distance of my goal range.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That makes sense considering that the less you weight the less calories you can eat just to maintain. If you weigh 200 pounds you can consume 2300 to maintain 200 - but if you weigh 130 you can only eat 1900 to maintain (all being totally made up numbers). Southbeach, Atkins, Fat Flush and their ilk all have menus at about 1500 calories. So if you should eat 2300 to maintain and you drop 800 calories a day you are going to lose more quickly than if you only drop 400 per day. Also - weight loss is really calculated on total body weight. 4 pounds off of 140 is 3% and 8 pounds off of 200 is only 4%

Julie S said...

This reminds me of an interesting point my trainer chick made when I first met with her. I'll have to ask her again for the exact details because I just can't remember, but basically you are only supposed to cut your daily caloric intake by a small percentage if you are looking to lose weight for the long term. She stressed that when you exercise, it is important to replace those calories or else your body will actually start storing fat even though you are eating less and exercising more. I think she said that if you burn 300 calories exercising to replace at least half of them, with the idea being to raise your overall metabolic rate.

Amy said...

That's interesting Julie! Maybe that is part of my problem... There have been several days where I felt I had exercised away more than I consumed. But that was when I used to work out at lunch time and not eat until afterwards- so I guess I DID replace them ultimately.