Monday, July 16, 2007

SB cheating

Everyone at Katie's party on Saturday knows I cheated heavily on the South Beach diet by eating TWO pieces of birthday cake and then following up with a s'more. But other than that, I've been good. And it doesn't seem to have had much of an impact. I keep getting on the scale each day expecting to see my weight up a bit, or at least no downward movement, but instead every day I've lost between .4 and .8 pounds. This morning I was down to 136 even. I'm always the one who says that this kind of weight loss isn't sustainable--as soon as I start adding bread and pasta back into my diet, it'll all come back. OTOH, barring food-heavy holiday seasons, I've been pretty good about maintaining my weight in the 130 - 135 range, so I'm hoping that once I'm back down to that range with the help of South Beach, I'll be able to maintain the loss with my usual diet. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

This week is another weird one for me. I'm going to be at a conference downtown the next couple of days, and that generally means eating a really bad diet! At least it's local so I can stick with my usual diet for breakfast and dinner, but lunches will be difficult since I won't have much choice in the matter, although for group lunches you can usually count on some kind of salad and some kind of chicken.

Summer challenges--I like all of Amy's ideas. I'd have to dig out my pedometer to do the walking one, but that's probably the most realistic one for me in the next few weeks (until I can start going back to the gym). That and the water one. I *love* the "walk 500 miles" challenge, although I've seen other people doing it where they pick an actual destination (walking, say, the distance from here to New York or some other place), which is good for people with vivid imaginations. Crunches are good too. I don't do any except for when I'm doing pilates, so this would force me to do *something* each day, even without the gym.

No comments: