Thursday, November 16, 2006

What was I thinking???

OK - I officially started Atkins today. I have had two hard boiled eggs and a string cheese so far. I have bacon also from my breakfast, but I have to go heat it up and I haven't yet. I have chicken salad on lettuce for lunch, then pickles and anothe cheese stick for a snack this afternoon. I have had half caff coffee with HALF AND HALF (what is wrong with this diet!) for breakfast also. I was supposed to go out to dinner with some friends tonight - but luckily it was postponed until Monday. Good thing - I would have hated the temptation on my first day!! Speaking of which - my boss brought bagels this morning - and then our first delivery of the holiday baskets came a bit later. Sigh. Why couldn't I have done this in JANUARY!??

Anyway - I have been worring about how Thanksgiving will go. I think it will be mostly OK. I may go over my carb alotment of 20g per day by a little bit. But turkey is zero, cheese is zero, green beans and carrots are low. I will have to skip stuffing and potatoes (boo hoo!) and rolls and dessert. Sigh. BUT - I discovered that custard (made with heavy cream, vanilla and eggs - but not sugar) is OK. I figure if I flavor it with pumpkin pie spice - it will be a pretty good substitute dessert.

I got a call from Barbara Ball (my regular doctor). I had my test results sent to her as well as Dr. Haber just to keep her in the loop. She said that my thyroid is enlarged, and it has noduleS - plural. The largest one is the one that he felt. She sounded mildly worried - but she is a serious, and sincere person - so she always sounds mildly worried. I left a message for Dr. Haber then to give me a call back. I was told that will probably be after 4:30. Dr. Ball said that Dr. Haber will let me know what he wants to do - but it would probably be either a biopsy or (blah, blah...) I am not sure what the second thing was - but it sounded like a futher test. She said the biopsy would be done by Dr. Haber, but the other thing would be done at the same place that did the ultra-sound. I don't know if any of this is contributing to my lack of weight loss -but part of me wants to say I TOLD YOU SO!!! On the other hand - it would REALLY suck if it doesn't contribute to my fattness, and I just have to go through all of this - well, just because. Ugh! I must say though, it would be nice if it can be fixed (or controlled) and I can eat like a normal person again. I am really not loving the idea of not getting to eat desserts, bread, candy, cookies, etc.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Amy, I'm so impressed that you're doing the Atkins thing and I hope it shakes things up a bit. I generally find the first day of something isn't quite so awful as about a week into it, because it's still new so it's on your consciousness all the time, even though the change in habits is a big nuisance. But by the time a week is up you're sick of it and getting more complacent so it's easy to forget.

I wouldn't be half surprised if the nodule was contributing (in the largest part) to your troubles -- I saw in the archives how your weight has REALLY jumped up since you quit smoking, and that's only been, what, a month? Scary. Good luck and keep us posted (especially us out-of-town types!).

Sarah said...

Good luck with Atkins! I like the sound of the custard thing. If I don't lose the weight I'm supposed to by next week, can I have some instead of pecan pie?

Interesting about your multiple nodules. I hope the doctor calls you soon to tell you what might be up with that and what they can do next!