Friday, November 17, 2006

I survived

My first day of Atkins wasn't what I expected AT ALL! I expected to be pretty happy with eating all protein, no carbs - but I was more hungry (or more specifically - unsatisfied) yesterday than I have felt in over a year! As I said, by the end of the day I was STARVING! and I had no food left to eat. This could partially be because I am PMS-y - but I think it is more that I am used to feeding myself sugar in some form or another all day. The greenbeans we had for dinner were SO GOOD because of my lack of sugar. I can say though, that the sugars I am craving really are fruit ones now... I want applesauce!

Last night Katie and I had baked chicken and baked green beans. This was a Let's Dish dinner. Katie baked my green beans without the breading - but they were good anyway. By the end of dinner I was at 9 carbs for the day. No wonder I was starving! I then had an Atkins bar (3 carbs) which was surprisingly good (or maybe I was just desparate). It is sweetened with Sucralose - which I think is Splenda. I could hardly tell. It made my throat slightly warm - but I didn't get the nasty after taste that I usually notice from artifical sweetners. Then I did a test run of my vanilla flan with pumpkin pie spices. It needs sugar. It was very bland. I am going to try it again with a smidge of Spenda. I ate the one warm last night - and it may be better cold. I have two more to eat. It was good as an egg dish, but not as a dessert. Sigh. I then ate another cheese stick - and that was it for the day. I went to bed feeling like I wanted to eat more food - but not feeling hungry per say.

Today I forced myself to wait for breakfast until about 10:30 (hopeing I won't eat everything in sight by noon today). I had a pieces of low carb bread (6! seems decadent now) with cream cheese and smoked salmon. It was really yummy. I have chicken salad on lettuce for lunch again - and two string cheeses (I ate one at around 9am, I just remembered) pickles, and hard boiled eggs for snacks. I also brought another Atkins bar with me. I am supposed to work in the DC tonight (they are back logged) so I hope all of that will last me until I get home.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hungry is good, at least for weight loss. It means your body has burned all the easily available sources of energy and will turn to back-up energy (fat) to keep going. One of my goals after the first couple of months of this diet was to go to bed slightly hungry every night.

Pickles and hard boiled eggs sound really good to me at the moment! No idea why.