Friday, November 17, 2006

Plateau

I was so much enjoying my three-pound drop in two days that this morning's weight of 140.0 was a real disappointment. I still just need to maintain for another three days to qualify for dessert on Thursday, but I was hoping to stay south of 140. I'll just have to keep on being good for a few days -- but that's what I expected anyway. More than a few days -- I know I should keep on being good for the rest of my life. But that's too hard to think about.

Yesterday I only did the 15 minute WATP. Bedtime with the kids took 2 1/2 hours (Cecilia refused to go to sleep or even stay in her bed if I left the room) so I was busy with that until 10:30, at which point I was already half asleep, and then Daniel called, so it was after 11 before I got to exercise. By then I was three-quarters asleep and I was not enjoying the prospect of exercise, but I made myself do the minimum. That woke me up enough that I probably could have done the second mile, but I didn't realize it until after I'd stopped, wide awake at 11:30 at night.

My food yesterday was about the same as it's been this week, or maybe not quite as good -- my usual breakfast, lunch of honey-wheat pretzels, yogurt, and almonds (the grownup version of honeybread, cheese, and peanuts?), and snacks of almonds (two times), a banana, a bit of applesauce (Alexander left his behind, and I hate to see it go to waste, but it wasn't much to begin with), and a few candies (a fun-size 3 Musketeers, something small at lunch, and a nibble of dark Mr. Goodbar, I think). For dinner we did make-your-own pizzas because I wanted something fun with the kids (I was tired of leftover chicken), but I tried to do mine up healthy -- rather than use the store-bought crust I made a quick whole-wheat crust (flour, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 t quick-rise yeast; it was ready in 30 minutes tops, including the prep, but it was bland, so next time I'll add a bit of sugar and salt), I loaded it with green peppers and put leftover chicken on it and only four pieces of pepperoni (about 10 calories apiece!) and a very light sprinkling of cheese. Then I only ate half the 8"-ish pizza so I have that ahead of me for lunchtimes, which is fun. I think that was about 300-400 calories for dinner (it would have been a huge meal if I'd eaten the whole thing). I also had milk to drink. Oh, phooey, I also had about 3 or 4 pieces of popcorn shrimp -- Alexander talked me into buying that and then he put a bunch on his pizza, breading and all. Xander is like Kirsten about shrimp!

Today I've had raisin bran and OJ so far, and a drip or two of applesauce. The reason for all the applesauce is that Mary is taking fish oil supplements but can't swallow tablets, so I mix it in there, which means the other kids want applesauce, too. Amy, I feel guilty every time I post now -- so much of my diet is carbs when I eat well! If it's any consolation, this is the store bought, no sugar added stuff, so it's not all that good!

And another side note: I discovered raisin bran is much more caloric and higher in sugar than Lucky Charms. I've been eating the former because it's full of fiber, which I need, but maybe I should be eating more Lucky Charms? ;-)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I've spent a lot of time reading sides of cereal boxes. Katie and I have discovered that Lucky Charms really is one of the best you can get calorie-wise, and even fiber-wise. It has the added advantage of being a treat to eat too. Katie and I alternated that with Peanut Butter Puffs. The sugars are high in both of those - but in comparison to the "healthy" cereals they aren't THAT much higher. PLUS a serving of LC is 1 cup - or 3/4 of a cup... more than the 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup you get with the denser cereals.

Emily said...

The raisin bran was actually 1 cup to Lucky Charms' 3/4 cup, so it had that going for it -- if you cut back on serving size, though, it was still higher in calories and sugar. But it has a whopping 7 g of fiber in that cup (or about 5 in 3/4 cup), to Lucky Charms' 1 g. I really do eat it for the fiber. I also like Bran Chex for that reason, when I'm not in the mood for raisins, but these days all I can find most of the time are the very bland Wheat Chex. :-(

Amy said...

I take fiber pills. They do the trick. I don't seem to be lacking for fiber (or I WASN'T). I eat whole grains, whole fruits, etc.