Monday, November 20, 2006

Off The Grid

I have been wanting to post all weekend - but Katie and I are currently off the grid. I am not sure what is going on. Our phone - I don't THINK it has been disconnected - gives you nothing but a busy signal. Our internet is not connecting. For some reason MY laptop (even though I was piggybacking on another wireless set up) STILL wasn't connecting - although Katie's would - but not consistantly. I am not sure what all is going on.

ANYWAY - I am not sure if this crazy diet is working or not. I was down on Saturday to 216.8 and then yesterday to 215.4 (my original starting weight!!). Today I was 216.2. So - definitely down from where I started on Thursday - but still a LONG way to go.

I am not sure if I cheated or not this weekend. If I did it wasn't on purpose. I had cottage cheese yesterday. I am getting SO SICK of meat. I know prior to this I have been kind of off meat - but I am really running out of ideas to fill meals. Anyway - cottage cheese is on the list as pretty low carb (2 to 4g per half cup). But I swear I saw somewhere that you shouldn't have cottage or ricotta cheese during the first two weeks. I can't find that statement again - and I can't think of a reason why. The other "cheat" is that Katie and I went to Bonefish on Saturday. That wasn't the cheat part - Bonefish is the PERFECT restaurant for Atkins. But I did have a vodka collins (only one!). Alcohol - Tom Collins' specifically too - is low carb (about 2.5) - but they do tell you NOT to have that during induction. BUT - in my defense, I didn't KNOW about the no alcohol (I just looked up the carb count prior) until I was looking for the note about cottage cheese. Anway - I am having a glass of wine on T-day regardless!!

Speaking of which - I am going to plan my menu tonight so I won't slip too much... BUT - I have been working on perfecting the Atkins approved pumpkin pie. I made a version of the egg custard last night - where I included actual pumpkin (about 2 g per serving) and a smidge of Splenda. It turned out gray. I am not sure why. It tasted pretty good though. So - I will be eating gray pudding while the rest of you are eating pecan pie. Hummmmmmm. Maybe I will just stay home! 8-b

I have been running around today so I have only eaten breakfast so far - which was three pieces of bacon, two hard boiled eggs and a cheese stick. My stomach just growled though, so I guess I will eat my chicken salad and lettuce now.

If ANYONE can think of any interesting (non greasy - the fat is really bugging me, thus the cottage cheese) low carb ideas, spit em out! I am tired already of what I have been doing!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Here's where you may have read that cottage cheese isn't allowed: http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-one/acceptable-foods

OTOH, the site also says that you can start Atkins at at one of the phases, so "cheating" on the first phase by eating cottage cheese hardly counts as cheating! It also says that during the first phase you'll likely feel hungry and out of sorts until your body gets used to burning fat for fuel, and then that will go away.

Have you tried any of the recommended Atkins bread stuff? The two week diet the site gives includes "Atkins bakery" breads. I also notice that the menu plan includes celery with soynut butter--I'm guessing that soynut butter is lower in carbs than peanut butter? I've never checked, but if that's the case, you maybe could have a pickle with soynut butter--not quite as good as the real thing, but I've learned to adapt.

The nutritiondata.com site is great for figuring the carb count of all foods--it gives the glycemic index and breaks carbs down by their type when they have the information.

Amy said...

That may be it - however I don't remember reading the 12-15 carbs a day of vegetables! The book says to eat no more than three cups of veggies - in the form of lettuce - or a combo of two cups lettuce (salad) and 1 cup cooked vegetables. That comes to about 5 grams of carbs a day. No wonder I am having a hard time hitting even 20.

I have some carb friendly bread - 6 grams per slice - but I can't find the other stuff. Not even on their website - except the pancake mix. I may order that. I have been lookin online for low carb recipes and finding quite a bit (no surprise) but they all seem like a variation on the same things.

Sarah said...

Is the book you have the most recent edition? I think they've altered and fine-tuned the diet over the years. I know when people first started doing this they didn't worry at all about fat (now they recommend healthy fats and avoid transfats) or nitrates and other food additives. Could have something to do with Dr. Atkins' heart attack. Or just new information about transfats and such.

How are you with tofu? It's fairly low in carbs according to nutritiondata, and it's not greasy and can pick up the flavors of whatever you cook it with. I've got the Vegetarian Times cookbook and it has a ton of tofu recipes. The gluten-free cookbook I have might also be a good source for recipes (although there they replace grains that have gluten with gluten-free substitutes, but some of the entrees might be good).

Amy said...

Dr. Atkins was over 90 when he died - so I think old age had something to do with his death. But - yes, I have the newest edition of the book and the older one (but not the original one). I had to buy nitrate free bacon (only one kind that I could find) and they do talk about healthy fats verses icky fats. I like some tofus. I haven't actually cooked with any - but I like Miso soup - which has tofu in it. Katie and I were talking about trying them out - and I was reading the ingrediants on the tofu packages last week. I may make the plunge!

Sarah said...

He wasn't 90 when he died, he was 72, and the heart attack didn't kill him. He died after falling on the ice. The heart attack was a year earlier.