Thursday, August 31, 2006

Guess what I just did?

Pulled my old bicycle up out of the basement, washed it, filled the tires, cleaned and lubricated the chain, and hit the sidewalk with it. For about 100 feet. I wasn't exactly dressed for the occasion and it wasn't exactly the best timing--I was wearing wedge-y sandals and boot cut jeans (which, as it turns out, are JUST as likely to get caught in the chain in 2006 as they were in 1976!) and it was close to 8:00 so the light was fading and the kids needed to be getting ready for bed. Oh, and I didn't have a helmet on and the next 48 hours are supposed to be about as rainy as weather around here gets.

But still. I didn't fall off (largely because I kept one foot on the ground most of the time) and it was just as fun as I remember--I love that not-quite-in-control feeling you get on a bicycle. The brake cables need adjusting a bit, and I have no idea how the derailleur is (need to get up more speed and cover more distance to check that) and we'll see in the morning if the tires are going to hold air for more than a couple of hours. But with any luck, I'll have a rideable bike again, and an hour on a bicycle is WAY more interesting than 35 minutes of running!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Good for you!!!! It is the not quite in control feeling that I always say is what prevented me from riding a bicycle!!!! Although - I have to say that you make it sound intriguing.