Thursday, August 24, 2006

Restating my goals

A year ago my main goal was to get to a healthy weight range (below 154), which I've done, and my dream goal was to get to my wedding weight of 135, which I did, but it's been drifting away. My BMI is currently 22.3, but at my low point it was 21.3. Both are healthy, but I don't like the upward trend! So my new goal is to get down to the range of 130 and stay there, with a 3 pound allowance on either side -- if I go above 133 it will be time to take action.

At this point, however, I'm less concerned about my weight -- unless I can't reverse the upward trend; I'm 1.5 pounds away from something very alarming to me -- and I'm more concerned about fitness. When I went running this weekend my body was really not up to the level it had been. I was sore for the next two days, too. Yesterday I took a walk of about 2 miles, so that's some exercise, but I need to be doing it every day. I'm going to make a fitness goal of exercising five days a week -- by this time next year I'd like that to be completely consistent in my life. I also want to be able to jog 5k in under 30 minutes again -- just a month ago that was possible, but I about died on Sunday (even without the killer hiding in the woods right there -- I nearly did myself in!) and I don't want that to continue.

I think if I get back to regular exercise the weight will take care of itself, but I'm also not eating a whole lot better than I did a year ago, which means if I slow down my weight will catch up to me right away, and I'm not doing my cholesterol levels any favors. This week I've been trying to make sure I get some fruit in my diet every day. I have successfully reduced my portion sizes at meals, particularly dinner and breakfast (my lunches were never unreasonable) so food changes aren't completely impossible for me, but I don't think it's realistic of me to say I'm going to change my eating much more than that. I enjoy food too much! I'll watch it vigilantly when my weight is going up, but I can't promise anything else, long-term.

No comments: