Thursday, August 03, 2006

I am FURIOUS with my gym!

I went to the gym for the first time since Saturday (I've been walking instead -- we walked to French yesterday and twice to the same house the day before) and there was a notice on the door about a meeting for all parents who use childcare -- the meeting was yesterday, though, so I asked what it was about. On August 1 a new owner took over and as of next Monday childcare is going up from $5 a month (which you have to pre-pay with your membership) to $2 per child per visit (or $3 per child under 16 months). That means $7 a visit for me -- if I go three times a week, as we did during the school year, that's around $80 a month!!! The contracts are non-refundable and I JUST renewed in June for a full 12 months -- prepaid, as I said. But part of the deal was that I'd have this childcare -- we would never, ever, ever have renewed if we'd known this was coming.

Childcare is not explicitly mentioned in the contract so they claim they're not required to honor it, and I have no right to a refund of any kind if I cancel. I can NOT afford $80 a month and I can't afford for that much money in a membership to go to waste. The new owner is, conveniently, out of town until next week, so I can't even complain to him directly. (His letter states that he's a single parent -- I'm guessing he has ONE child, which would be a huge difference!) I filled out the cancellation form anyway and stated my reason for cancelling, and I requested a prorated refund, but the owner would have to approve it.

I understand why the new guy made the change -- they were losing money and childcare was decidedly a part of that drain, since they have to employ two people in the room at a time for about eight or nine hours a day. But they shouldn't be allowed to change it in the middle for people with prepaid contracts without giving us some kind of an opt-out.

I did submit this as a "news tip" to the Roanoke paper but I have little hope that anything will come of it. I am absoultely outraged.

Meanwhile I've been eating strangely -- I've been queasy the last few days (negative, before you ask) and it seems to be better if I keep eating, so I end up grazing. The snacks aren't too bad because we don't have much on hand, and I don't want anything very greasy or heavy. But it feels like I've been taking in far more calories than necessary, and I've been drinking a lot (mostly water and milk) because it's hot, so I don't think I'm dehydrated, but my weight was down to 135 today. Go figure.

Anyhoo. Time to calm down about the gym, since I can't do anything about it today!

2 comments:

Amy said...

OH! EMILY! I am outraged on your behalf! I can't believe they have offered no accommadation to people in your situation. That is absolutely unbelievable! Even if they don't offer an opt out plan they should grandfather in the new child care plan for people already under contract. Especially since they didn't give you any sort of notice - 30 days, 90 days whatever - to make other arrangements. I would love to know how many parents DID make it to the meeting - and if you could get in touch with them somehow. Offering child care onsite for any business is extremely expensive, mostly because of insurance costs rather than the cost of the people to run the center. Additionally - check the contract for a "hardship" clause. If, for some reason your economic status changes then you should be allowed to be released from your contract. A membership that costs you $80+ a month more - with no warning certainly SHOULD count as a change in economic status. Also - do you know any lawyers? Have one write a letter to the gym on your behalf requesting a release from the contract. If not - make their life difficult... Write letters, call, complain, spread the word that they are not conducting their business in a fair manner - and being a PITA will make them want to PAY you to go away!!!

Sarah said...

I agree with Amy--they should have grandfathered in current members so you guys wouldn't be hit with the increased costs until it was time to renew your contracts--especially since you already pre-paid the monthly childcare cost when you renewed! I also don't understand how they can have you pre-pay a monthly childcare cost without it being an explicit part of the contract. Isn't there a part in the contract that has all the costs outlined?

I'd be on the phone to the new owner as soon as he's back in town and don't leave him alone until you get what you want out of the deal--call, write, email at least twice a day until you get a response. It's just crazy that they could make a change like that with no warning.