Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Tuesday again already?

I missed weighing myself last Tuesday because we were in Maryland, and today we're in Alabama, so again I'm not in a position to weigh myself. Last Wednesday my weight was at 146, and I was good about dieting for the next couple of days and saw 144 before I got lazy again. It's appalling how little enthusiasm I have for watching what I eat these days.

I'm going to keep a traditional Lent this year -- no meat, no eggs, no dairy. Which isn't quite the same as vegan, because it still allows seafood. I've never attempted this before and I may get very tired of tuna sandwiches and bean and rice burritos with no cheese or sour cream. I also have some whole wheat dough in the fridge that was made with a cup or so of milk -- is it cheating to bake this and use it up when I get back? I hate to waste three loaves' worth of dough but it won't keep. Maybe I'll bake the loaves and freeze them, then start again with dairy-free dough.

I'm also going to stick to whole-grain everything during Lent, but not really because of Lent -- it's a change I've been trying to make anyway and Lent is just a good time to start. I fully expect to go back to meat and dairy after Lent, but I'd like to eliminate white flour entirely (except for birthday cakes and Christmas cookies, of course -- one has to have standards!).

I've had occasional exercise over the past two weeks, and I was looking forward to running while we were in Alabamaville, but with my running shoes (and, more importantly, my running bra -- I can get running shoes anywhere or even where my cross-trainers in a pinch, but my regular bra would cause serious pain if I tried to run) in my suitcase at home, that's not going to happen. I did get out for a walk yesterday (a short one) and I'll aim for more of that this week.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I decided after further research I should clarify my "traditional Lent" rules. By "traditional" I mean "early to mid-20th century", not middle ages or any other era, since the rules have been nebulous for all two thousand years. And I'm keeping the abstinence rules, not the fasting rules -- in years past when I've tried daily fasting it has lasted roughly a day and a half, at which point the headaches and the horrible emerging personality persuaded me that this wasn't a great idea. I will try to do Friday fasts, but not any-day-but-Sunday fasts. And only in the one-full-meal-two-smaller-meals sense.

Amy said...

I used to do the fast on Fridays thing for Lent. I stopped because it wasn't enough of a challenge. I tend to not eat as a rule anyway. It was much more challenging to do no meat for all six weeks.