Saturday, March 26, 2011

I don't think this works

I was going through a bunch of online calculators (BMI, BAI - body adiposity index, waist-to-hip ratio, and body fat calculator) and came across this link for a body fat calculator. I put in my current numbers and it told me my body fat percentage was 32.28%, which they say is obese. So I played with the numbers to see where I'd have to be to NOT be obese and no matter what I put in, it always has me in the 32%+ range. In fact, when I drop my weight to the mid-130's and take an inch off my waist, my body fat percentage goes UP to 32.4%. Out of curiosity, I put in my numbers from when I was in college and had my body fat percentage calculated by a professional as part of crew training. At that point I was 121 pounds and my body fat was 18% or 19%. According to this calculator, with those numbers, my body fat percentage is 32.6%!!

So I wouldn't use this calculator if you're looking for some idea of what your body fat is, although I'm curious to see what others would get with this. I'm wondering if maybe the calculator is set up so that anyone with a six inch wrist is just automatically going to be figured in the obese range if they are taller than four feet.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh! I like this one! It told me I was 32.7 also! I am obese - but I think I am closer to 40% fat! Hee hee!