Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sometimes I can diet, sometimes I can't

Right now I can. For some reason, over the last week or so I have had NO problem ignoring food. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I have to remind myself at the end of the day to get enough calories. And it's not just the meatless/dairy-less thing (though that helps), because I've had seafood in my dinner the last few days and I'm still scrounging for calories. So my weight is declining, and today's was 141.0. But Easter will hit and I'll have a ton of junk food come into the house, so I'll start eating it again, and once I start I won't be able to quit for another month. Or three. But I don't want to reject the Easter junk foods entirely -- I just want to enjoy them like crazy for a day or two and then go back to a tiny snack each day. Why do I find that so difficult?

Just for fun today I put together an Excel spreadsheet of my weight this year so I could look at the moving average -- it is hard to tell what my weight is really doing when it zig-zags so much from day to day. It turns out this is my second period of weight loss this year, and the longest so far; in January it declined for a week and got close to where I am now, but then it immediately turned around and was more or less upward after that. But this time my weight loss started in mid-March -- pretty much right after our return from our trip -- and has continued. (Phooey! It IS Lent that's making it easy after all! Come to think of it, the limited diet makes a very big difference -- knowing I have avoid so many things makes me inclined to avoid everything. Hmm.)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been having no difficulties controlling my intake this time around too, but I've been blaming it on the vegetables. They always say that eating lots of fruits and vegetables will fill you up so you don't get hungry, but I've never found that to be really true before, but now that I'm trying to get six or seven servings of fruits and vegetables in breakfast and lunch, I find that I'm NOT hungry at the danger time of the day for me (after work but before dinner, when I overeat anything in the house). I had always had most of my vegetables with dinner before. Since trying to increase my potassium, I've found that I'm just not hungry like I used to be.

Remind me of this when I start to gain weight again--more veggies early in the day means less hunger late in the day. I had been following the advice to have a snack with a protein and carb in the late afternoon to stave off hunger, but that's not what does it for me.

April said...

Sarah - I totally agree with the more veggies thing. with my monster in the morning and veg burger it is super filling.

Emily - I do think it is the lenten thing...I think the same way...if I can't have that then I just won't have anything. Also, keep in mind that fish has WAY fewer calories than chicken or other meats. And with you cutting out dairy...OUCH - I totally undestand why you are hunting for calories at night!

Amy said...

I don't eat because I am hungry. It doesn't take many vegetables to make me full. They kind of make me gag - and then make me sick. I eat yummy foods on top of vegetables to make the yucky feeling go away.

What is wrong with me? April - you can attest to this. You have to REMIND me to eat and then half the time I forget half way through that I am eating. I think it is mainly psychological. Food for me is a pleasure thing, not a fuel thing - and so I don't feel the need to eat when I am distracted by something else. I can't tell you how many times I have gone the whole day on a Saturday or Sunday - sometime (often) both without eating anything but coffee. People who talk about eating because they are hungry boggle my mind. Or people who love certain diets because they don't feel hungry on them. I don't understand it. OTOH - again - since I only eat for the joy or flavor of eating I DO tend to only eat what is bad for me. I ate a bunch of caramel popcorn yesterday and promptly felt queasy because it was too much sugar on an empty stomach.