Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fun morning

My weight this morning was 142.8--not quite two pounds down from last week, but I'm very happy with the loss. That wasn't the fun part, though. The fun part was getting blood drawn for all the various tests my doctor ordered--CBC and lipids and thyroid and vitamin D and one other that I can't remember. So I had to fast before the test, of course. I don't get blood drawn very often, but I've always been fine with it (at least as an adult--not so when I was a kid and tried to run away any time I needed a shot!). I don't like to watch the needle going in but I'm not a baby about it and the pain is only tiny so it doesn't bother me. So the phlebotomist got me all set up, poked me in the left arm, and the blood was just not coming out. It was like the time I tried donating blood to the Red Cross and they couldn't get the blood to flow and I bruised really badly. She kept moving the needle around and nothing would come out (and I was well hydrated--I had been drinking water throughout the night and morning). I suggested she try the hand, which tends to work better for me. So she was prepping that and I said I felt a bit dizzy, but generally o.k. I think she thought I was nervous about the needle prick, so she just told me not to look. So she stuck my hand and immediately I got super-dizzy-oh-my-God-I'm-going-to-pass-out. So I did. Only for a few seconds, but before passing out I was begging her to let me put my head between my legs, but I couldn't because the arm prop thing was in the way and there was a needle in my hand. They got ice on me and revived me and eventually moved me to a room to lay down. As soon as I lay down I felt much better, and I insisted that they finish drawing the blood (this time from my right arm, so now I've got bandages in three places) because I was NOT coming back to be tortured again. So instead of a 15 minute stop on my way to work, this turned out to be a 45 minute ordeal with a stop at Starbucks afterwards to replenish my low blood sugar. Thinking about it, I've never had to have blood drawn after fasting before, except one time in college when I donated blood and hadn't eaten much yet that day (it was snowing and I didn't want to slog to the dining hall), and I pretty much passed out after that one too, but I always thought it was because I only weighed 120 pounds and had low blood pressure and stood up too fast after the donation. Today was much scarier. I'm still feeling a bit shaky and lightheaded, even after an apple fritter from Starbucks and birthday cake for Missy at work, so I think I'm going to go see if I can find some protein.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

P.S. I don't know what's up with this--there WERE paragraph breaks in there, but they disappear when I post the entry. I've tried editing three times and it still goes back to one block of text.

April said...

OMG...that is scary but glad you survived

Amy said...

YOU SWOONED! You are so Victorian!!! It must be because your husband wasn't there to support you. 8-b

My post from yesterday had paragraph breaks too. Yours is funnier without the breaks.

I am SO SORRY! I wonder what caused it - other than the giving blood and fasting. It very much sounds like my dizzy spell last month when the doctor decided it was the fluid in my ear and the ear infection. I have had times where my blood doesn't come out at all - and one time where it was coming out and it stopped altogether. The hand usually works better for me too - more painful, but really - it doesn't hurt THAT much! I think we all ended up with malformed arm veins. There is no other reason for it!

Sarah said...

I DID swoon! Maybe the corset I'm wearing under my work clothes wasn't such a good idea today. ;-)

I'm pretty sure the cause was plain old low blood sugar. I've been worried about what hidden health problems my bloodwork will show--high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, poor kidney function, etc. Things with no physical symptoms like my high blood pressure. But I'm feeling like I don't have to worry so much about my blood sugar level any more!

Julie S said...

I've had this happen before...I've actually never donated blood again because of passing out. I felt terrible the rest of the day after it happened to me; I just couldn't get my body right again. And i wasn't even fasting, the little old Red Cross man forgot to undo the tourniquet on my arm that he used to get things going. Eat and drink often today. Hopefully your body re-balances faster than mine did.

Emily said...

Oh, my!! What a lousy start to the day! I've never had a problem with a fasting blood draw -- it has always been such a small amount of blood -- but I got dizzy after donating blood one time and they made me sit on a cot forever, long after I was fine. I hadn't eaten enough beforehand. And another time in college I was fine after the blood donation, but you know that "Don't lift heavy objects afterwards" warning? Well, turns out they mean it. We were packing boxes all day at the bookstore so I was lifting heavy objects all day, and that evening I had a rehearsal where I had to stand for a half hour straight, and I went blind for about 20 seconds and almost passed out. Very weird. Low blood sugar -- and low blood, for that matter -- can really mess with your system.

Next time bring smelling salts.

Sarah said...

Turns out it's something called vasovagal syncope--something triggers your vasovagal nerve, which leads to a sudden drop in blood pressure and then the fainting. The trigger can be a particular type of sudden pain, or things like hunger or lack of sleep. They ("they" is Wikipedia) say it usually starts as a teenager and then recurrs throughout your life when exposed to a similar trigger. Often there are prodromal symptoms like nausea, sweating, lightheadedness, ringing in the ears, etc.

Having read that, I am suddenly reminded of LOTS of times I've had similar things happen, but it's never progressed to actual passing out before. When I injured my pelvis when I was 13, I had a similar response, which the doctor said was from shock from the pain. But ever since then when I have a similar sharp sudden pain, normally to my funny bone (or the same nerve in my leg) I get dizzy and sick to my stomach and break out in sweat. I'm always able to get my head down, though, and it goes away quickly. Today I couldn't get my head down, and now I know what happens next.

So the fasting may have made it worse, but I suspect either they hit my vasovagal nerve while prodding around in my arm or I'm just a big wimp.

Emily said...

Cool. I love Google. And Wikipedia!

Amy said...

Very interesting!! You are a big wimp! 8-) BUT - now you know how to lower your blood pressure. Go around whacking yourself suddenly!