Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Tuesday (ahem) weigh in

So I'm only off by 24 hours--that's not too bad, is it?

My weight is from yesterday, though--149.2. I seem to be gaining .2 pounds per week with my current plan of "eat everything in sight and exercise once a week." Doesn't seem to be working really well, does it?

But my horrible deadlines at home and work are mostly over, so I'm back to my normal routine at work of hitting the gym (or the streets so far this week) four days a week. Yesterday and Monday were both running--on Monday I did my usual 3.5 mile run and was just dragging the whole time. It wasn't as bad as Friday, when I was poking along and barely making it up hills (aging sucks. Have I mentioned that before?) but it was still under 6 m.p.h. on average, so I really want to get my speed up. Yesterday I did sprint intervals--10 minute jog, then 15 or 20 minutes of intervals, then another 10 minutes of mostly walking. It was supposed to be a jog to cool down but my legs were killing me and still are. This is what I started doing last year around this time that helped my legs get too enormous for the pants I have on right now. It's amazing how hard that kind of workout is--the distance was the same as my usual run, it took more time to do it (lots of walking recovery time after sprints), but I'm completely wiped out now. But all the research says this is the best way to increase speed and improve endurance and do something with glycogen and lactate and VO2 capacity and whatnot. Whatever. It's supposed to make me not such a slow lump, which is my goal. But it hurts.

Today I'm back in the pool. You KNOW how much I'm looking forward to that.

No comments: