Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Three good habits

It seems to me that if I tried to do everything in a day that you're supposed to do to maintain your physical, emotional, and spiritual health then I'd spend all day doing those things and not other things that I have to do, like laundry and work. So if I'm exercising, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and drinking plenty of water, then I'm probably not flossing regularly or getting enough sleep. I think my maximum for good habits is three--if I try to add in any more good habits beyond that, something else is going to drop off. Of course there's a good argument to be made for the things I have to do being a big necessary part of the whole physical, emotional, and spiritual health picture. I can't imagine I'd have much of any of those things with no income. And not doing the laundry would lead to a deterioration in my physical health after some time. And surely playing on Facebook is good for my emotional health, right?

Another day at the pool yesterday. Another mile swum (is that a word?). At this point I could probably do the triathlon tomorrow if I had to (I'd need a wetsuit, though. It's chilly out there!), although I'd be pretty beat up at the end--I've got all the distances down for each event, but haven't put them together yet this year. I wanted to do a bike/run brick over the weekend but only did the biking part, so I'll have to try to get to that this weekend. Last year I didn't really start doing those until July, though, so I'm doing o.k.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I wrote this exact same post (minus the part about swimming and exercising) WAAAAAAYYYY back at the beginning of doing this blog. I also can only maintain about three good habits at any time. I wonder why that is. I keep thinking I want to write a book called 15 minutes changed my life. I was thinking that you really only have to spend 15 minutes per day doing most things that are good for you to see progress. The only problem is that it is 15 minutes EACH... So, 15 minutes packing a healthy lunch, 15 minutes practicing banjo, 15 minutes cardio workout, etc. However, what they don't take into account is that the prep time and clean up time from anything makes the 15 minutes DOUBLE - and so what should be only an hour or so, is actually three hours - which starts to cut into the 8 hours of sleep we are supposed to get each night.