Wednesday, May 26, 2010

That frustrating waistline

The battle continues. With age I've noticed my waist and stomach expanding despite working hard against the bulge and gravity.

I have lost a tad bit in my waist -- or the belly bulge. That loss has given me hope that I can trim down around my waist.

For awhile I was in a bad habit of having a beer or two after work but have pretty much cut out any alcohol consumption during the week. I've had a lot of weekend activities -- parties and the like -- so if I want a beer or some wine I drink on the weekends. But honestly, I don't have much tolerance for it anymore. Two beers and I'm happy.

Otherwise I have all the pieces in place for a great exercise program so now I need to execute.

I bought new running shoes and, so far, have used them for mostly walking. I was having a really bad time with my right hip and lower back so I got a massage from my wonderful therapist, Victor, and that helped immensely. But it's still nagging. Honestly I think if I can get back into a routine of hiking, biking, walking and some running it will improve. That's the theory I'm trying to prove, at least.

I had planned to go for a bike ride last Sunday but it rained. I actually bought a big pump to get enough air pressure into my tires. I've ridden on softer tires and it's hard, hard, hard.

The other problem is work. I'm really busy. But Congress takes a week off next week and I'm going to try to get into a routine. Now this is where I sound like a broken record.

I'm promising myself some new clothes, which I desperately need, if I can trim down a bit. I'm hoping that will provide some additional motivation. We'll see.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I had a fun experience this morning when I had to teach Brian how to use a bicycle pump. This guy has thousands of dollars worth of dangerous tools and he can't figure out one of the simplest tools in the world.

good luck with your new/renewed exercise plan! Do you want to get together this summer and bike part of the C&O trail for a day?