Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My swim gear is giving up on me!

You know how Facebook and Amazon know exactly what you're thinking and which sites you're browsing all the time? I think there must be some kind of similar internet link with my bathing suit. I know it's a year and a half old and I've worn it hard that whole time, but it was holding up really really well--no problems with losing its elasticity or getting thin in spots or anything.

On Monday I spent some time reading about swim equipment (best materials and designs for practice suits--that kind of thing) and then on Monday night when I hung up my suit to dry I noticed it looked like it was covered with a kind of white powder. I thought maybe I had dropped it on the basement floor or something, or maybe it picked up eraser dust from Claire's homework table (I was drying it on the back of the chair for that table) so I didn't think about it. But last night when I took it out of my gym bag, I saw the same thing and it was obvious that this was the fibers from the suit itself breaking down before my eyes. I've never seen something break down so quickly! It went from looking new to being saggy and ill fitting in two days.

At least I know what kind of suit to replace it with: exactly the same one I got before. Hey, if something can hold up for that long with no problems, I'm not about to try a new or different product!

I'm not having so much luck with my goggles. Brian bought me the pair I use for Christmas a year ago and they were beginning to get cruddy and lose their anti fog coating by the end of the summer, but were still serviceable. Now I think I need to replace them--they don't leak, much, but the visibility is down to just a small section in the center of the lenses, and the elastic bands are losing their elasticity so they are beginning to slip as I swim. But I can't seem to find a good replacement for them--I want to get the same pair all over again since they are about a million times better than what I had before (cheap pair of speedos from Sports Authority), but all I have is the name of the manufacturer and not the model name. When I look up that manufacturer I find a pair that *looks* like the pair I have, but it doesn't list anti fog coating as one of the features. But I'm hesitant to spend money on a brand/style I don't know since they might have a nice anti-fog coating but if they fit like the Speedos I don't want them. So I'm doing the only logical thing--buying two pairs. One pair of the ones that look like the ones I have but might not be, and one pair that comes highly recommended by other women that lists anti fog coating and UV protection but might not fit (they are all designed for women and say how great they are for smaller faces. But I have a huge head, so this might not be a selling point for me!). If they both turn out to be crap, I'm in trouble.

1 comment:

Julie S said...

I was going to suggest a visit to a local dive shop to see what they have on hand or what insight they may have to offer. There's the one in Columbia and the one in Parkville.