Tuesday, May 11, 2010

149 and feeling terrible

I am coming off weeks of vacation-style eating. Poland was the worst for this -- kielbasa, pierogi, chocolate croissants for breakfast, and all kinds of junk in between. And alcohol (beer or wine, and once a shot of cherry vodka, which tastes like not-so-syrupy cough syrup) almost every day. And this was all bookended by airplane food, where you eat what they give you and it's best not to ask questions -- but unless it's absolutely awful I end up eating all of it because it's there, and what else am I going to do on a 10-hour flight? So now I'm up four or five pounds. If I hadn't walked more steps each day than I generally do on even a good exercise day I'd probably be in even worse shape, weight-wise.

But I'm not just feeling like I've had too much and gained a little weight. I also had caffeine three times over the course of the last week (in small quantities and judiciously, necessarily applied) and today I have a headache from that (Tylenol is helping it, though). And for some reason I'm experiencing some other weird symptoms that may or may not be related to diet and travel. I've had back pain at the waist on my right side when I kneel for many months now, and starting about two months ago I've also had a crick in my right shoulder just below the blade -- I woke up feeling like I'd slept on it wrong and it hasn't completely gone away since. I haven't exactly been feeling the shoulder pain, but I've been getting numbness on my right side -- my arm feels like it has fallen asleep up to the shoulder sometimes, and my right leg falls asleep at the slightest provocation. Once in a while when BOTH the right arm and leg are feeling numb, part of my left hand tingles, too. When I massage my right shoulder while my arm is numb, it hurts, though not terribly -- just more than squeezing the left side does. Sometimes my right leg aches instead of going to sleep -- I was walking funny for a couple of days. Everything feels functional, but it's uncomfortable. I don't know if this is a pinched nerve that is getting more irritated, and if the long airplane rides and carrying around a heavy backpack (over both shoulders, though; I do have that much sense) made it worse, or if this is something else. Maybe an injury from the running. But I haven't gone running in two weeks now because I was trying to get my right calf to recover. A Google search suggests it could also be a herniated disc. I was hoping a day or two at home without hauling stuff around would help with the numbness, and I felt great yesterday. I haven't had the leg pain since two or three days ago, but today the numbness is back, after a reasonable night's sleep in my own bed.

My inclination is to give it a week or two of normal living -- proper eating and exercise and sleep. If it keeps up or gets worse I'll call the doctor. But this feels expensive. A doctor may want MRIs and x-rays and physical therapy or chiropractic or acupuncture or massage. Ugh. (Not that a massage is ugh, but the kind mandated by PT is costly!) I wish it would just go away on its own!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Why don't you start with non-mandated massage and see if that helps? Get a sports massage and mention the numbness and pain and see if they can work out anything. If you're overworking your muscles (or understretching them, which I'm guilty of) you compensate by holding yourself funny, which can cause the pain. And spending lots of time on an airplane doesn't help. A massage and careful stretching after each run might do the trick. And would feel good, too.

But I know what you mean about just wanting the pain to go away! I have a prescription for more PT. I've had it in my bag since the end of February but haven't called to make an appointment because I keep hoping the pain will just go away. Some days it's better and I think I'm done with it, but then it comes right back, almost as bad as ever. It's not debilitating like it was in the fall and winter, but it hurts and it hurts all the time and it just gets tiresome.

Amy said...

If you figure out what it is let me know! I have been having a "buzzing" on my left shoulder blade for about two years now. More actually. I have told my doctor about it, and my accupunture person, and the chiropractor. EVEYRONE looks at me like I am crazy. It eased up for a week or two this past winter, but it is back in full force currently. It doesn't hurt exactly, but it is very distracting and irritating. If feels like one specific muscle is asleep. I have decided that mine is maybe stress related - it seems to get worse when I am more stressed. That is what I initially thought it was - but both my doctor and the chiropractor thought it was also disc related. However, those treatments haven't seemed to help. I had Dr. Jack press really hard on it last night, but it is no better today. It feels like a VERY fast muscle tick to me. If you are wondering, you don't get used to it.

Emily said...

Amy, that doesn't sound much like mine -- it just felt like a normal cramp in the shoulder, only now it's causing numbness in my arm and leg (and my left pinkie). No twitchy feeling. Did you get an MRI?

Julie S said...

Go to the doctor--the longer you wait, the more damage that can happen and the greater chance it will be difficult to reverse. Don't mess with back pain or numbness; you're talking quality of life issues if it becomes chronic.