Friday, May 07, 2010

Dehydrated

OMG! You should have seen my feet! Mostly my feet - some my ankles, or maybe it was also my ankles, but in comparison to my feet they looked small. Seriously, my feet were so puffy that I thought I was going to get stretch marks on them!!


It started with the week of Kirsten's death. I was so dehydrated. I kept drinking water, but it didn't seem to help. Then I drove to VA and back, and that always leaves me slightly dehydrated. And of course you all know what a crazy humid weekend it was too. Sunday I was feeling mildly queasy and had to stop a few times on the way home from Blacksburg. Monday I was still slightly queasy, but not too terrible (easily blamed on my period). Tuesday in the middle of the night I woke up feeling horrible. I stayed up for about an hour. Then it just didn't go away. I stayed home from work then, and around noon I felt my feet blow up. Like balloons. I couldn't get them to go back down. I tried everything. My normal cure - drink two bottles of water and pee like a race horse - didn't work. I drank tons, but it wasn't coming through. I sat with my feet up, no help. Wednesday morning I started the day by drinking about 64oz water. I was hoping to reduce my feet before yoga. However, it wasn't until about 11am that any of it came through... and it wasn't enough to reduce my feet. In yoga I started noticing how achy and stiff my muscles were. Yoga actually seemed to help soften them up. I continued to drink water - and by yesterday the swelling had gone down some - but not completely by any means. However, all of the water I had been drinking finally started to "flush" through. Today my feet looked normal when I got up (they always look better when I get up, but today was the first normal day). They look slightly puffy now - but not anywhere near as bad as they had been.

What is our take away from this? Well, I have to start drinking more water more regularly. I knew I had been slacking over the winter - but I had NO IDEA it was so bad. My new resolution is to drink two glasses of water before I leave the house in the morning. If I start out drinking I usually can continue it. I also have to start walking again. I really think that part of the problem this time around was that outside of work I don't move around a lot. AND I HAVE A SEDENTARY JOB!

I just signed up for the 2010 season of CSA (One Straw Farm out at Boordy). I am excited by this. I really want to make more effort to eat locally and organically. I am OK with the organic part (Wegman's carries a lot) but local is harder. I hope to make more connections with the other vendors up at Boordy (fish, meats, dairy). I am also still trying to find someone to sell me eggs that come out of a chicken instead of a styrofoam box. I need to make a list of the foods I eat and figure out what I can do to filter in as much local food as possible. Maybe I will make this my summer project.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Another take away should be to make an appointment with your doctor. Edema like that can be caused by something serious, and I'd want to rule out any of the dangerous things.

Julie S said...

I know where you can get eggs out of a chicken. Peter's chief has a 14 year old daughter that tends chickens on their farm in northern BaCo for her 4-H group. If you ever see "Brianna's Eggs" anywhere that is her. I think she takes them to certain farmers markets.