Wednesday, May 26, 2010

And today?

Back up to 147. Hah! But I suspect this has a lot to do with an excess of grilled cheese and a deficit of activity. I'm going to have to work double today to stick with my workout plan for the week. Either that or I'm going to have to declare this week a low mileage/rest week.

Yesterday I was supposed to go swimming at lunch, then run today, then nothing Thursday (it's commencement so I'm dealing with that all day), then swimming again on Friday or biking to work, depending on how the weather is and what I feel like doing.

Instead yesterday at 10:30 I got a call from Brian--he was taking Connor to school after his gammaglobulin infusion and the damn car wouldn't start. Again. We thought we had fixed this before, but apparently we hadn't yet poured enough money into this thing. So I went home to rescue him (he also had to be at HCC for a 1:00 exam) and as soon as I got there, he got the other car started. So we decided that I'd take the station wagon back to work, he'd take Connor to school and run some errands before his exam, and then if I had difficulties starting the car in the afternoon he could come help me out. Sounded like a good plan to me, or at least it did until the car starting hesitating and lurching just as I was getting on the ramp for I-70. I made it over the ramp (just barely) and the car died along the side of I-70. I hate cars.

I managed to get the car started again, and lurching and threatening to die the whole way, I made it back to Catonsville to the garage where we had it two weeks ago (no small feat--once you're on 70 you can't exit until Ellicott City, then I had to turn around and go all the way back to Catonsville). I pulled up, left the car in front of the shop (there were no parking spaces and they told me to leave it there!), where the mechanics were forced to look at it quickly because THEY couldn't get it started. Stupid car. Turns out it's a cam sensor (a little known piece of essential equipment that mechanics make up in order to charge you $364 for ten minutes of work. Or at least that's my guess.) and we'll get the car back probably tomorrow or Friday.

Brian met me at the garage and since it was getting close to the time when he'd have to leave for his exam anyway, we decided to get lunch next door at the new grilled cheese restaurant. Yum. But probably that sandwich (never mind the sweet potato fries) was all the calories I needed for the day--thick sourdough bread, lots of gooey cheese, pesto, balsamic vinegar glaze, roasted red peppers. Really yum.

By the time I got back to work I had been gone so long that there was no way I was getting to the gym, so I gave up on exercise for the day.

Today, though, without a car (Brian has another job interview--at this rate maybe he'll be employed by Christmas) I rode my bike to work. I think I might go swimming at lunch today (since I left my gym bag here last night I have all the stuff) so I can get two days' worth of exercise in one day. Then if I swim again on Friday and run on Saturday I'll be caught up to where I planned to be.

No comments: