Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back at it

I hadn't run (or exercised formally at all) since two and a half weeks ago, when my calf was acting up. While we were in Poland I managed to get 10,000 or more steps every day that we were touring (my peak was 26,000!) so I was getting the heart health but not the marathon conditioning. But I was a little nervous about getting back into the running because of this numbness and soreness I've been having. Still, I felt if I waited any longer I'd be impossibly behind on the marathon training program, so I decided yesterday I'd get back into it.

I ended up doing the full 7.5-mile run that I missed from last weekend -- I thought it would be too hard to get to it mid-week. But I found that I had lost a LOT of conditioning. Instead of a run/walk, by the end it was more of a run/walk/jog/walk over any 5-minute period! The first 10 minutes out on the trip, my endurance was fine, but my stride felt all wrong. I was stiff and lopsided and couldn't get a good rhythm. But after the first mile I have a nice, long downhill, and I found my stride there. So by the time I got to the turn-off for home, where I had to decide to quit with a 5k or commit to a long run, I felt pretty good. It was hot (nearly 80) and because of the length of the run I held my pace back as much as I could. Even so, by the time I turned around to head for home with about 2 1/2 miles to go, I was pretty wiped out. So long as it was flat or downhill, I could keep the rhythm of running for 4 minutes and walking for 1, but the hills were brutal and I had to walk some or all of them. I did still find the energy to run the last two tenths of a mile (which were flat), so I hadn't completely knocked myself flat, at least!

Today my right hip is achy and my hamstrings are tight. I'm eager to get back to the gym this week so I can do some easy runs on the treadmill, and so I can get back to my step class (where I'll have a new teacher -- what a nuisance!) which will get me back to some upper body work and proper stretching.

I'm pretty sure I need to see the doctor about this problem, but I'm procrastinating on it! I wonder if I should just schedule a general physical and bring in my whole laundry list of complaints. It would be a few weeks before they could schedule it, but it would be worth it to get everything done properly. I get my annual each year with my GYN, but I haven't had a full physical in years.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Doesn't getting old stink? It's amazing how little it takes to get me out of condition. After taking three weeks off last year when I went on vacation (two weeks of vacation, one week of preparation and recovery--jet lag hit me hard when I got home) I pretty much had to start again from square one. My running had lost more than my cycling or swimming, but they all were worse off than before. The good news is, it doesn't take as long to get back to where you were.

I've been hearing great things about recovery compression tights (and socks--they make them for just calves instead of full legs)--people who use them swear that they don't have nearly so many problems with muscle soreness and fatigue. They make compression socks and tights for use while running as well--I saw a lot of people wearing them in the triathlon last year. As you increase your distances, you might want to look into something like that. http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodZT_F9UCB04.html