Tuesday, May 11, 2010

147.4

That's more like it. I'm about two pounds down from last week, and it's the first week I've lost weight in over a month. If I could just keep up that rate of weight loss for another five or six weeks, I'll be in great shape! Unlikely, though--losing two pounds a week while simultaneously trying to gain muscle is probably not going to happen.

My run yesterday was pretty good. I'm having some hamstring problems--seems to be just a slight strain and not a real injury but it was bothering me off and on during my run. And my heart rate monitor was giving me fits. You have to wet the contact points on the chest strap for the HRM, and normally you just use water to get you through the first minute and then you sweat enough that the contact points are plenty wet. In Maryland, where we can count on high humidity, that works well most of the time. But not yesterday--it was cool and windy with low humidity and as soon as I stepped outside to run my skin was completely dry. Usually on days like that I'll use a water based lubricant instead of plain water, but that lubricant was in my not-stolen gym bag, which I didn't get back until after my run. So for the first 10 or 12 minutes, my heart rate was stuck first at 155 b.p.m. and then at 79 b.p.m. So I have no idea what my real average heart rate was, but my overall time was good--my average pace was 9:48 per mile, 20 seconds faster per mile than the same run last week and 4 seconds faster per mile than my fastest time so far this spring. I don't know if that means the sprinting I've been doing has helped or if I just had a good day.

No comments: