Monday, June 18, 2007

We have a bike trailer too!

Did the same thing as Emily--wanted to go riding as a family, but as we can't imagine how to teach Connor to ride a bike, we got a trailer. We just got the cheapest one at Target (which is also where I got my bike--a new bike at Target cost less than it would cost to get my old bike into shape for the road!). He's at the very upper weight limit for it, and WAY above the height limit, but we tried it out yesterday and it seemed to work well enough. I wouldn't go cross country with it, but it was fine around the state park. His legs are all squashed up in there, but he didn't complain. Claire, on the other hand, wiped out impressively on her first downhill at the park yesterday. She knows how to brake properly, but doesn't quite get the control it takes to anticipate braking, so by the time she realized she was going too fast she just panicked and tried to stop the old fashioned way--by dragging her feet on the ground. It didn't work very well, and she and her bike went handlebar over heels (from the tiremarks, it looks like she ran over her own butt with her bike!). She was just a bit scraped up, and scared, but she got back on her bike after the shaking stopped but wouldn't go anywhere near a hill after that!

That was the only exercise I got all weekend, and since I more than made up for it by eating everything in sight, it's no wonder I was back up above 138 today. Over the course of the weekend I had two ice cream sandwiches, a doughnut (and I would have had that second one but I'm not a huge fan of jelly doughnuts), half a bagel, two mini bags of popcorn, a candy bar, a Moon pie(!!), and a bunch of chocolate chips. That was in addition to regular meals (which really weren't so regular--I managed dinner each day, but the doughnuts and bagel were my breakfast one day and I skipped breakfast the other day, and I can't remember if I ate lunch either day. I know I didn't yesterday, but I can't remember Saturday.

I think at this point I should just give up until after vacation. I can't get to the gym today because I spent the morning at Connor's kindergarten show, and I can't go tomorrow because we have a work lunch to attend, and I have a million errands to run before leaving town, so I'm probably going to do those on my remaining lunch breaks. Maybe this week I'll just focus on eating less food, and then hope I can make it through vacation without going over 140 again!

No comments: