Friday, June 08, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggety jog

Ho ho jog, that is.

We got here late last night -- I ate a meatball sub on the road instead of any of the healthier options, because what I was really craving was pizza, and we weren't anywhere near a place where you could get a quickie slice of pizza. And I ate chips to go with it, for no good reason at all.

Today I weighed myself for the first time in two weeks, and I was at 149.5 at 6 am (when Cecilia got me up) but 148.5 an hour later (when I gave up and got up for good). Either way, I'm under 150, when I really feared I wouldn't be.

Today I'm getting all kinds of exercise -- the freezer in the basement turned itself off while we were gone (it's plugged into a faulty outlet but that's because there are NO good outlets in our basement -- who makes a 1000 square foot room, including a laundry area, with exactly three pairs of outlets? Washer, iron and sump pump take three -- plus we have a dehumidifier, a spare fridge, and this freezer, not to mention backup pump for the stupid overflowing drain, and right away we're WAY over capacity, and that would be the case even if I didn't try to use the basement for living space -- which I do, so I have an extension cord plugged into a power strip) and I came back to a freezer full of melted ice cream, rotten meat, stinky vegetables, and soggy bread (thanks to the rotten meat -- now I know bread should go on the top shelf!). So in addition to doing the laundry I planned on, I also had to spend hours scrubbing out the crud and vacuuming up the sludge on the floor, then scrubbing the floor (but we have a floor scrubber, thank goodness) and vacuuming again. When I finished that I was so gunky all over that I went ahead and mowed the lawn -- Daniel has Cecilia's stomach virus that she contracted in Germany so he couldn't get to it.

Now I still have to get cleaned up and get to the grocery store -- we have no food, because we cleaned out the fridge before we left (well, mostly) and, well, obviously now we have nothing in the basement to fix, either. It's going to take months to get the freezer full again -- if I ever get the smell out.

We will be going to Alabamaville tomorrow, if Daniel's better -- and that's a day later than we'd originally planned as it is -- and then turning around and coming home on Sunday. So Monday I'm back to a normal life. Of course, I have no gym appointments next week because I haven't been in town to call! But now I have a bike trailer (hooray!) so at least I have other exercise options.

No comments: