Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tuesday Jabber

It's Tuesday, and I remembered it was Tuesday! Woo!  Weight was holding at 198, which I don't feel too awful about given the ridiculous eating out we did Thursday, Friday & Saturday.  Peter's brother was in town from NI, so we met up with family in Baltimore two nights and then took him to the airport Saturday and met up with NY family in Newark.  We ate at a FABULOUS Spanish restaurant in the Ironbound area of Newark. Before they handed you a menu, there were bowls of olives, plates of bread and plates of salad on the table.  It was delicious.

After one green monster last week, I managed to talk someone else into trying the recipe when I was at a bridal shower Sunday.  I'm hoping to hear back from her today to see what she thought.  I made the green monsters today for Peter & I.  My monster was much greener, and I ground the flax and oatmeal finer than he had.  It is definitely growing on me.

Food-wise we've been sticking to lean proteins, veggies and small carbs for dinner, which has been working out well. We started getting deliveries from this food service and I am really liking the meat, not to mention the fact that they carry everything inside and put it away for you.

Peter & I started our hiking training Sunday as well.  We did a 3.5 mile loop through the trails in the neighborhood.  I was going to do more yesterday, but my shins were sore so hopefully I can at least hit the treadmill tonight. I want to clear 9 miles each week for a few weeks. I need to also do some research and find some local hikes that have rocky terrain so I can practice being a mountain goat.  I want to make sure I am ready for August.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Try Patapsco State Park--there are some great hikes there with fairly rocky and steep terrain (and lots of easy flat ones too) that would be perfect for practice. The trail from the tire park (the Hilton entrance to the park) down to the river and back up is a good way to start--I think it's only a half mile, but there are some steep bits, and then you can add to your distance with a walk on the paved trail along the river, then build from there for mileage adn terrain with hiking the trails on the other side of the river.

Amy said...

Do shin exercises - sit with your leg out straight in front of you and write the alphabet with your big toe. It really works. It helps make your shin muscles stronger and more flexible.

Julie S said...

I don't doubt the exercises work, but I plan to strengthen them by using them. I think the soreness was a result of partially broken in hiking boots on a hard surface (part of what we walked was side walk back to the house.) If the problem persists, I'll try something, but I don't think it will. I just need to get more miles on my legs and shoes.

Amy said...

No - you do the exercise as part of a warm up to REAL exercise! People have no problem warming up other muscles, but ignore the shins. I find if I do one set of alphabet on each leg before going out walking, my shins don't hurt.

Emily said...

I agree with Amy on this one -- if you are having ANY shin trouble, you need to be doing therapeutic warm-ups. And do the shin exercise on days you don't exercise otherwise as well -- think of it as PT. This also strengthens the muscles in the arch of the foot, which gives your shins better support from below.