Friday, April 08, 2011

Get along there old lady ...

Yeah, I'm talking about me, the one who's trying to feel less old ladyish by working out until I need a walker to get home. Sound like a good plan? We'll see.

I joined a gym near the Capitol for a month -- *groupon* -- and it's a nice pretty gym in a circa 1930s building. So last night I exercised on a treadmill and a bike that were out in the hallway. I had flashbacks to my elementary school years when I was sent out of the classroom for being disruptive. Yep. Had there been treadmills of torture out in those hallways I might've behaved. Oh probably not. Good idea though for our obesity problem ... punishment by treadmill.

But I digress ... it's a cool gym -- the running room is in the "kindergarten" -- and the equipment is spread out on three floors with most of the school infrastructure still in place -- chalkboards included. A bonus -- there's a parking lot so no fighting for street parking.

I really can't afford to join though -- it's $105 a month. Ouch.

Anyway, I decided last night to do a gym triathlon -- pick three pieces of equipment and do them back to back. I was going to do 10 minutes each but ended up doing 20 -- treadmill, bike and elliptical. So I got in a solid hour and felt/feel great. What's interesting is when I first started working out again about 4 years ago I couldn't have done what I did last night. That said, I'm not in good shape and my intention is to change that and fast.

I also enjoyed a very nice hot tub and steam -- I had the locker room all to myself at 10 p.m. -- enjoyable.

I hope to take advantage of all the equipment and some of the classes during the month.

In addition, I've been doing squats and weights routines and I've gotten through the initial pain of those damn squats and dead lifts. So that just means I've got to keep finding new thresholds.

So feeling pretty good after the first week and hope to pick up the exercise and keep going with good food. I'm already feeling more energetic. What's funny is though is that sometimes I'm content to be lazy because it seems easier. Yet, it's really detrimental mentally and physically.

No comments: