Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Our Internet is acting up here at work. I just wrote a fairly lengthy comment saying why negative reinforcement - the threat of punishment - works better for me than positive - the promise of reward - does for accomplishing goals. Making me accountable to someone other than myself is, I think, mandatory. That being said, April and I just came up with a plan where I have to report to her daily what exercise I did the day before. I will no longer be able to tell her that she is not the boss of me - because in this she will be.

Maybe, we will be able to eventually have me reportable to her for my food too.

I also think I will call the bariatic center at Johns Hopkins. Even if my weight loss problems are only psychological, maybe they can help me out.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

That's good. Like I said, you have to determine what works for you and you have to *want* to lose weight. I needed to lose weight over the winter and I didn't really care if I did or not. I dealt with it and have moved on. I now realize I was an idiot because I feel so much better mentally and physically when I'm active and eating right. I'm not getting any younger and pounds are harder to shed.

Amy said...

Well, unfortunately, it is more than just "wanting." If it were that basic I would be skinny as a rail. Eating good foods isn't hard for me, but I agree with you that I notice it when I haven't eaten well - both mentally and physically. However, I don't feel that way about being active. I feel much healthier when I have gone "inward." I think that is why I enjoy yoga so much. It is one of the few exercises where the basic uncomfortablness of the world around me (smells, tempature, sounds, etc) don't irritate me beyond the telling. Not to mention the uncomfortableness of my body (sweat, itchiness, muscle pains, etc.) I feel way more refreshed after a creative activity - pretty much ANY creative activity - than I do from a physical activity.

That being said - I am off to take a walk. Sigh.