Monday, April 25, 2011

Milk is evil and wrong

After a month and a half dairy-free, I cheerfully poured my cereal with skim milk for breakfast this morning and downed it. Less than a half hour later I felt horrible -- my stomach was very distressed. I made the mistake of trying to go for a 30-minute run anyway; often when I have indigestion that helps, because it kind of wakes up my system and moves everything through. Instead it got worse. My legs were fine, my lungs were fine, so I ought to have been able to run 5k beautifully well. But after about 8 minutes my entire upper digestive system was cramping up, so I kept having to stop and walk until the spasms subsided. Ugh. It took me 32 minutes to do 3 miles, when my gym pace on the treadmill (usually tougher than the road for me) is more like 29.

I think my body quit producing lactase when it realized I didn't need it. I am HOPING this is temporary -- after a day or two of trying to give it dairy products again it might re-open the production line. I like dairy too much to have to give it up permanently.

Of course I ate junk food all day yesterday, but the actual dairy content of Reese's eggs is probably fairly small. And we had a vegan friend as a dinner guest, so anywhere I would normally use butter or milk I used vegan "buttery sticks" and almond milk. And I was so busy I had no more than a nibble of cheese all evening. So this is really the first chance I've had to test this. Bleah.

I didn't try to count calories yesterday but today I am back to it. I haven't had any candy and it's already lunch time -- this would be more of a triumph if I hadn't felt so gross all morning. I am bound and determined not to have my annual post-Easter weight gain, though!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I don't think it is the milk that is evil and wrong - I think it is Lent! 8-) Of course, Katie and I have always reacted to milk in a not positive way - so maybe it is milk. Neither Katie nor I have a problem with yogurt, and cheese is hit or miss.

Maybe it was the running that was evil and wrong?

Emily said...

I've never reacted to milk, either. And the cramps ended up lasting all day and a little bit into this morning. And today I had milk with my breakfast and no reaction. So it might have been the milk yesterday, or the exercise made whatever-it-was worse, or I just ate too much the night before and it was a delayed complaint. Or I might have had something entirely unrelated wrong. Who knows?

Emily said...

By "either" I meant "yogurt, or cheese, or milk EITHER." Sorry. And I do sometimes feel gross after too much cheese, but that seems more a response to all the fat.