Monday, July 05, 2010

World's largest blisters

OK, maybe not the WORLD's largest. But I've got what are certainly the largest blisters I've ever had. Ouch. My original shoes left me with black toes and a sore calf. And soreness all down my right leg. My new shoes corrected all three of those, but they left me with my arches falling. Last week I added my arch support insoles to the shoes on my short run and they were lovely, but about 4 miles into my run yesterday my right arch started hurting again, but it didn't feel like my arch was collapsing. My left arch joined it in complaining a couple of miles later. When I got home, I peeled off my socks and found HUGE blisters on the underside of my arch -- an inch and a half long and nearly an inch wide!! Today I have only mild soreness from the run, but I have to hobble to avoid hurting the blisters. Ugh.

One of the more remarkable things about yesterday's run is that I discovered it makes a MAJOR difference to run in 60s weather rather than 80s/90s weather. At 8 miles into the run, I had managed a 10-minute pace the whole way. It was less than 9 and a half over the first mile when I thought I'd been holding back, so that 10-minute pace was me holding WAY back. I finished the whole 14 miles in 2:26:43. The overall average pace was 10:22 (I'm sure you all are very excited by all these statistics); I lost a lot of momentum in the last four miles. The last mile in particular was awful -- it has a number of big uphills.

I did not have any of those fun intestinal problems I've encountered in the past. Mine have never been as bad as that LOVELY photo Sarah linked us to (gee, thanks) but I have had to make a pit stop on one of my at-home runs and I've had a few worrisome moments on others. I started counting (and cutting) calories this week, so my calorie intake the day before was under 1200. On the morning of the run I had a cereal bar before I went out, and at about mile 6 I switched from water to Powerade (which was gross, and in the end I'm not sure that the number of calories I succeeded in taking in was enough to make any difference -- it's only 50 calories per cup, and I had to follow each swig with a sip of water so my mouth wouldn't feel all syrupy, which meant I was getting more liquid than I wanted each time), so I wasn't running on an empty stomach, but I also wasn't running on a full system.

It's two weeks until my next long run. I thought I was going up by 2s now, but it turns out I only got that increment once -- now it's by 3s until I hit 26! So next time out I'm running 17 miles. In Maryland, too -- I'll have to figure out a route that won't kill me. I don't think Springdale even has 17 miles of road.

6 comments:

Emily said...

So... I've wasted pretty much my entire afternoon playing on mapmyrun and I've concluded that the NCR trail is the way to go -- I'll just drive to the trailhead and head north for 8 1/2 miles, then turn back. Flat and car-free -- my favorite things! Does anyone know if there are mile markers on the trail? I'm worried my GPS on my phone will lose its signal (as it has been known to do) and I won't know when to turn around, or even where I am when I do eventually turn around. I don't want to run 20 miles by accident.

Amy said...

It is 17 miles from my house to Sarah's... Only that is on a highway. Sorry.

You could run from my house to Westminster - or perhaps to Arcadia. Hee hee...

Sarah said...

Very strange--I posted a comment but it never showed up! I hope this doesn't become a duplicate.

First off, congratulations on your long run, and I'm sorry about your blisters. One of Connor's therapists had to drop out of a race because of blisters like that and since then she's had good luck with some toe socks that have a gripper surface that keeps the sock from moving around so it eliminates chafing and hot spots. I've got a pair of the Injinji regular toe socks (that prevent my usual between the toe blisters) and I love them--they are slow to put on but are super-comfortable for running.

I don't know if there are mile markers on the NCR trail (there aren't regular ones on the Baltimore Annapolis trail) but I can go out with you that day on my bike and wait at the turnaround for you so you don't go over your mileage. I've been wanting to see how my bike does on that surface (remember that it's not a smooth paved surface so that might affect your speed) and that seems like a good excuse to go!

Emily said...

Sarah, I wish I could bike it with you! I'm so sick of running. If you don't mind me being goshawful slow, then, sure, come out with me. We'll talk about it at Mom and Dad's dinner.

I've ordered the therapeutic socks. The CoolMax-based socks came highly recommended on several sites I was reading yesterday about blisters. This is getting to be an expensive hobby, for something that's supposed to be so cheap! Shoes, socks, wicking shirt, shorts that don't chafe, Body Glide, water belt, running bras that actually do the job but don't suffocate. Insane.

Sarah said...

These comments are freaky--my other comment finally showed up, then the post said there were three comments to your post, but when I opened the comments I found FIVE comments--your two, my two, and Amy's. I've deleted my duplicate post, but now I'm wondering if this post will show up!

I can be your sag wagon--I'll wait for you at the turnaround with extra water and shot blocks and dry socks and take your empties. Or I can stick with you at 6 m.p.h. and see if I can go that speed without falling over. Or I can go to the turnaround, go back and meet you, go back to the turnaround, and keep up the back and forth until I really annoy you.

Vicki said...

Hi Emily,

Congrats on your run. I wish it had been less painful.

I recommend Teko socks. I have several pairs and usually buy the light hiking, which are pretty thin. There's also a light biking/running. I have used these for years and they fit my feet snugly, breathe well and hold up forever. Biking shops have them and you can find them on sale for reasonable prices. I tell you, they've made a huge difference for me in running, walking and hiking. No problems at all. They also are eco-friendly.