Thursday, July 22, 2010

Forgot to post on Tuesday!

My weight on Tuesday was 146.4 (which has now gone up to 147 after a day of eating too much and not exercising. They sell funnel cake fries with chocolate syrup at Hershey Park!). I'm beginning to think that this is just what my weight is going to be--I've been hovering around this weight for a while now, and this was the weight I was when I did the triathlon last year. 146 is just what I am, with muscles. When I was 130 - 135 I was in a lot worse shape physically (not bad shape, mind you, just not with the strength and endurance I have now) and while I liked how I looked then, and my skinny clothes fit me well, I'm not sure I want to go back there if it means that cycling to work is too much effort.

I'd be happy to give up the swimming, though. On Tuesday I went to the pool and practiced 1000 meters at race pace and finished with a time of 25:43, which is amazingly good for me--that's 45 seconds faster than I've done it any other time this year and nearly three minutes faster than I did the race last year (although a lot of people said the course was set too long last year, so my time for 1000 meters may have been a bit faster). Then I rested for a minute and finished up the last 500 meters of my swim. My final time for the whole workout was no faster than I've ever been, which means my last 500 meters was much slower than I've ever been (recently). And I didn't intend to go slowly--I thought I was keeping up my normal practice pace.

My Monday run - did I post this already? - was hot, hot, hot. I have to force myself out of bed in the early morning, or else this weather has to cool down. Running in heat really slows you down, and it's already miserably hot each day by 8 a.m. I'm supposed to run again today and I'm not looking forward to this.

Yesterday was a day off. I had hoped/planned to get up at 5:30 to run before going to Hershey, but of course I didn't. And then I ate crap all day--half a bagel with cream cheese in the car, hot dog and chips for lunch, the funnel cake fries I mentioned, a few bites of Claire's cotton candy, and the little chocolate bar you get at the end of the fake factory tour. By the time I got home I was both sick to my stomach and wanting to eat real food, which felt odd and isn't an experience I'd like to have again. Gross.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I have to disagree with you on the weight thing, at least for me. I can't claim that my weight has been as consistent as yours, so maybe this isn't my home weight; OTOH it's always been easy for me to get to here and hard to get lower. But I'm still of the opinion that shedding a few pounds more would improve my performance. My stamina at 130-135 wasn't what it is now because I wasn't pushing myself to get here; I had been exercising less than a year (consistently, anyway), and the idea of running hadn't done more than cross my mind (I was still too self-conscious about the bounce, so I hadn't run since Mary was born). But now that I have that stamina, I think I could still lose that weight again, while maintaining a certain level of intensity to maintain the stamina, and then I'd shed some seconds along with the pounds. I'd love to be carrying three or four fewer cans of Crisco around on the runs!