Thursday, July 01, 2010

Hmm

So I started going through the cupboard last night looking for all the hiding places for high fructose corn syrup. I found it in: tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, Campbell's tomato soup, Frank's buffalo wing sauce, ketchup and 1000 island dressing. I have to go through the dry goods tonight. We decided that we are going to donate anything unopened to a food bank rather than try to eat it down. I usually don't declare war on a single food item like this, but it is an easy target AND there really is no reason for it to be in SO many things. I mean, kidney beans? Really? That means every time I made chili I would load it with HFCS unintentionally, between the beans and the tomatoes. I have yet to check the label on the seasoning mix we like.

Peter and I went to the gym again last night. He set up his appointment with a trainer so he can learn all the weight machines. The Reisterstown gym has so many more than the others I have been too. The elliptical bored me last night, and I need to be out of the house tonight for a decent spell so the painters can work in peace, so I am contemplating a biking class. I really feel like going to the scrapbook store, but the gym is probably a much better choice overall. :-)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Kidney beans? Really? Now I'm paranoid and need to go home and check my foods.

I did a cursory search of the foods I normally eat and didn't find it in any of my usual stuff, but then, my usual stuff is pretty bland and boring. The closest I eat to processed food on a regular basis is breakfast cereal and string cheese.

Julie S said...

Yeah, the kidney beans were a shock to us. I want to check all the different brands at the store to see if all kidney beans are created equally or not.

Regardless of whether the book is 100% legitimate or not, it certainly has made me more aware of the intricacies related to the food we eat.

Sarah said...

I checked all of my canned beans tonight and the kidney beans contained corn syrup (not HFCS--don't start throwing out things with plain corn syrup) but none of the others had even that. A bit of googling told me that they use corn syrup when they want thickness WITHOUT a lot of sweetness, so presumably it is used with the kidney beans to make that nasty gunk the beans float in. I don't know why kidney beans would require it and not black beans or garbanzo beans, though. Hardly matters--I rinse all of the beans before cooking them anyway.

Julie S said...

Guess it was just the brand we had. They weren't what we normally buy (I usually get Hanover brand) but something Peter picked up somewhere ions ago.