Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm with Sarah -- enough of this heat!!

I had planned to go running early tomorrow morning so Daniel could be at home with the kiddos and I could go for a real run on the Huckleberry, but it's been two days since my last run, my weekend run was only supposed to be 5 miles (I had been thinking 6, but my calendar says it's 5 this week and 6 next), and I wanted to get it over with. At 10:30 the temperature was only (only!) 83 degrees, and it's supposed to be a hot night and a hot early morning tomorrow, so I decided just to do five loops close to home. Of course, by the time I was dressed and ready it was 11, and the sun was beating STRAIGHT down -- so even if the temperature had stayed at 83 degrees, 83 at 11 is hotter by far than 83 at 7 am. But the temperature didn't stay at 83, and by 11:30 it was closer to 90 and I was dying. I even had Alexander with me on his bike, which should have been enough to motivate me, but I just couldn't continue. I finished a full 5k, but not 5 miles. I was feeling sick to my stomach. And it was slow as molasses (and that's molasses in December, not in July). Xander and I both had sweat pouring down us, and he wasn't even working hard.

I'm still counting this as my run for the weekend -- I made a genuine effort and I think this is the first time I've wimped out on any run all year (not counting exercise I skipped entirely because of travel or injury) so I shouldn't feel too bad. Next weekend I'll make myself run all 6 miles, come hell or high water. Actually, high water sounds rather pleasant right now -- maybe I could swim the six miles?

1 comment:

Amy said...

We were just saying last night what a relief it would be if the temps dropped back into the 80s. It would feel positively cool!! We have been running our AC pretty much non-stop, which we never do.

This morning, however, it was beautiful! I took a walk at 6:30am and it was 70 degrees. So fresh!! Of course, it has been over a week since I walked and my calf was killing me!