Friday, July 23, 2010

Dear God, make it stop!!

This heat is just too much. I don't mind an occasional heat wave, but all of these days at these high temperatures is just too miserable.

I went out for a mid-afternoon run again yesterday, and it was one of my worst ever. Bad diet + bad sleep + bad weather = bad run. From the get-go my legs felt like lead and I was having a hard time making them move. I did the run in reverse, with the flat bits at the start and the hills at the end. Normally I prefer it the other way around so that I'm doing the flat bits when I'm tired, but I figured these days I'm walking so much towards the end of the run that I may as well walk the hills. I broke the run into two halves, forcing myself to keep running the first half and alternating walking and jogging the second half. I averaged 9:11 per mile for the first half and 11:37 for the second!

Today was supposed to be a swim day, but I woke up to discover that my swim suit was still wrapped in a towel and wet from Tuesday's swim, so I decided to get in more miles on my bike instead. I need more time on my bike, believe it or not. It's the one thing I *haven't* been training on regularly or methodically. I have all these timed splits for swimming and running, and I regularly work on swimming and running longer than the distance of the race. I haven't once gone further than the distance of the race on my bike (except last week on the trail with flat terrain and multiple long stops, so it doesn't count!) and I've only done the race route once (would have been twice, but the road resurfacing kept me from the end of the route), and my average speed on my bike this year is slower than last year at this time. So instead of staying inside like a sane person, I'll be out on my bike this afternoon. I probably only have time for 10 or 12 miles, but at least it's something.

No comments: